turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Light 12 gauge load??

Started by Genehalteman, February 22, 2023, 07:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genehalteman

Found this box at Cabela's today. 1180 fps velocity. Going to do some testing with them. I'm going to attach an extendible bipod I have to the front sling stud of the T/C and put a check pad on the stock. If recoil still seems too stout I'm going to rig a little bag of shot or sand to hang on the sling stud of the bipod to keep the gun from bucking. Pretty sure I can make it manageable with some variation of that setup..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Genehalteman

Quote from: Genehalteman on February 25, 2023, 05:36:18 PM
Found this box at Cabela's today. 1180 fps velocity. Going to do some testing with them. I'm going to attach an extendible bipod I have to the front sling stud of the T/C and put a check pad on the stock. If recoil still seems too stout I'm going to rig a little bag of shot or sand to hang on the sling stud of the bipod to keep the gun from bucking. Pretty sure I can make it manageable with some variation of that setup..

Forgot to attach picture

HillclimberWV

Let him bust some stationary clays with that and he wont even notice the recoil.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow

For the little bit of money I'd try some of the Topgun 1145fps 1 1/8th oz shells in your gun, the slower speed and more shot might give you a denser core pattern = a few more yards, recoil should be fairly close to what you just picked up

Genehalteman

Even better, got to looking around in my ammo drawer because I knew I had a lot of 12 gauge stuff and discovered that I have a few boxes of this stuff! 1-1/8oz at 1,050fps. Actually excited to put some of these loads through the gun.

crow

That might be the best yet, does it say on the box hard shot or high antimony shot

Genehalteman

Not specifically anywhere on the box. Online I'm finding that they say they use hardened lead shot in their target loads.

BandedSpur

FYI; Lead 7.5s are capable of 1.25" of penetration in ballistic gel to the following distances when launched at the following speeds:

1300 fps    38 yds
1200 fps    35 yds
1050 fps    30 yds

Genehalteman

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 27, 2023, 08:42:55 AM
FYI; Lead 7.5s are capable of 1.25" of penetration in ballistic gel to the following distances when launched at the following speeds:

1300 fps    38 yds
1200 fps    35 yds
1050 fps    30 yds
Thanks for that real-world information!