OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One piece v. Two piece strikers

Started by Footballer, June 22, 2011, 03:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

What are the pros and cons of each? Also, if you custom make pot calls, is it frowned upon to supply a pre-cut dowel and top with the calls that you didn't make?

lightsoutcalls

Turning strikers require some different "skills" than turning pots.  You may use similar tools, but when you turn a long, thin piece of stock, you get a different response from the wood.  Most all of us who turn one piece strikers have had them "blow out" while turning.  This can send wooden projectiles across your shop and worse, at your body (head).  That can be un-nerving, and likely has dissuaded some from turning one piece strikers.  I have turned some 2 piece strikers that look very similar to the dowel type strikers you can get from suppliers.  You can even turn more ornate tops for a 2 piece striker.  That said, I like to see a turned striker with a custom turned call.  That's not to say that peg style strikers don't sound good.  They can often be more user friendly than some turned strikers.  They definitely can be effective with a good call.  Again, this is completely my opinion, but a custom turned call just looks "incomplete" to me with a 2 piece (mass produced) striker next to it. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

selinoid44

I agree one piece strikers can be frustrating to turn sometimes but the finished product is worth the time it takes to make them.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

stone road turkey calls

Wendall is so right, a custom call without a custom one peice striker just does not work for me. i send a striker with every call i sell, they are not of the caliber that are made by most call makers but they are matched to the call for a good sound, or at least what i think is good.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call