OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpets / Lip Placement / Pressure

Started by Greg Massey, February 17, 2023, 11:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC0331

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 18, 2023, 07:37:00 PM
Does anyone find that the angle that they have the trumpet in their mouth makes a difference? I mean just strait in horizontal to the ground, tilted up, tilted down or maybe even cocked to the side at an angle maybe? Thanks.
Yes.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 18, 2023, 07:44:45 PM
Does anyone find that the angle that they have the trumpet in their mouth makes a difference? I mean just strait in horizontal to the ground, tilted up, tilted down or maybe even cocked to the side at an angle maybe? Thanks.
Yes.

Is there one that works best for all or is it an individual thing? Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 18, 2023, 07:50:53 PM
Yes.

It really comes down to the individual. Everyone's lips are slightly different. I ply mine slightly right of center. Also I push the mouthpiece up slightly where part of it is on my lip. I get good rasp from relaxing my lips slightly, and that allows a slight vibration in my draw creating rasp. If I want cleaner yelps , I position the mouthpiece off both lips. Of course I also change the way I draw my air. It is very hard to explain methods of playing a trumpet in words.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 18, 2023, 09:26:22 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 18, 2023, 07:50:53 PM
Yes.

It really comes down to the individual. Everyone's lips are slightly different. I ply mine slightly right of center. Also I push the mouthpiece up slightly where part of it is on my lip. I get good rasp from relaxing my lips slightly, and that allows a slight vibration in my draw creating rasp. If I want cleaner yelps , I position the mouthpiece off both lips. Of course I also change the way I draw my air. It is very hard to explain methods of playing a trumpet in words.
Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

EZ

Quote from: davisd9 on February 17, 2023, 12:13:44 PM
Everything should be muscle memory so there should be no difference

Agreed. That does seem to come with LOTS of practice on many different yelpers.
I don't put much pressure on the lip stop at all....just a gage. I play all mouthpieces....big, small, flat, round, the same....with "soft lips". That allows them to seal easier (for me).

silvestris

There is a reason why the old timers used hen bones in their wingbones.  Please don't start killing hens to get your bones unless hens are legal and in abundance.  Without a doubt, the size of the hole in the mouthpiece of a trumpet plays a part in the playing and of the tone, of course.  And then, are the internals of a caller, wingbone or trumpet.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

gmbellew

I will vary my lip shape (pushed out, neutral, or pulled back over my teeth), position (center, slightly offset, middle of 1 side), and tightness (relaxed or pinched on the MP) to get different sounding yelps - clear, rasp, hen, jake, etc. when I am really on my game I can get out some very soft feeding calls. and the other extreme is gobbles. the kee kee is what still, frustratingly, eludes me on the trumpet. I can get it, but I am very inconsistent.

Ondavirg

I'm in my first year hunting with trumpets, but something subtle jumped out at me this weekend.  I couldn't understand why I was struggling yesterday morning, especially after I was playing fine on the drive in while practicing.  I realized my facemask had rode up a bit and was inducing a little pressure on my bottle lip, making it difficult to play with relaxed lips.  I have been pulling down my facemask to play, but that is not going to work.  The elastic, as light as it seems, is putting pressure where it doesn't belong.  I cut a hole in my mask to play through.  Problem solved.

Thought others learning to play these calls might need this info as well.

TauntoHawk

I wish I could play a trumpet, I only ever purchased 1 but I sure don't sound turkey with it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChesterCopperpot

Lip pressure doesn't change for me unless I'm purposefully increasing the pitch, for instance when keeing. But from call to call, I run them all exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hpo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 02, 2023, 05:09:35 PM
Lip pressure doesn't change for me unless I'm purposefully increasing the pitch, for instance when keeing. But from call to call, I run them all exactly the same.

Concur
Shoot'em in the Face!

Turkeyman

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 17, 2023, 11:50:41 AM
Do you find it takes a tighter lip pressure on the smaller diameter mouthpieces? On ones with a larger diameter do you find it takes less of a grip of the mouthpiece? .. ...   I find the control of your yelping easier with a larger diameter hole in the mouthpiece ... I will agree that sure the smaller diameter takes less air but more of a closed lip on the mouthpiece ... less on the larger ones ... What are the most used drill diameters of a mouthpiece it's all very interesting ... your opinions ... For the ones who want to CRACK JOKES about this post, please move on or why don't you start  a new post...

I have two trumpets...one is .155" at the tip, .081" ID. The other is a bit smaller in both dimensions; .148"/.072".  I run them the same. I find the larger of the two a bit easier to run...but I wouldn't necessarily attribute tip size because of the internals, length etc. Also I'm more of a beginner than most of you, but getting there. EZ advised me of "loose lips" and it's paying off. I only tighten my lips to get a higher tone, e.g. a kee kee. Also, and it may be just me, if I draw with the mouthpiece more touching my upper lip I get a higher tone, more touching my lower lip, lower tone.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Ondavirg on April 02, 2023, 03:09:31 PM
I'm in my first year hunting with trumpets, but something subtle jumped out at me this weekend.  I couldn't understand why I was struggling yesterday morning, especially after I was playing fine on the drive in while practicing.  I realized my facemask had rode up a bit and was inducing a little pressure on my bottle lip, making it difficult to play with relaxed lips.  I have been pulling down my facemask to play, but that is not going to work.  The elastic, as light as it seems, is putting pressure where it doesn't belong.  I cut a hole in my mask to play through.  Problem solved.

Thought others learning to play these calls might need this info as well.
After I read this I realized I didn't have a plan for my face mask.  I have something I've been thinking about for years but haven't tried it.  I'm going to try it this year and I share with the group how it goes.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

gmbellew

agreed. I started with a Permar Improved Jordan.