OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pecking order

Started by Lone Star Eastern, February 16, 2023, 11:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

Three longbeards were crossing the road together the other day. Does that mean they haven't started fighting for pecking order yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

I think they fight for pecking order all the time.  They are just still in the fall flock mode and should break out of that soon. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: g8rvet on February 16, 2023, 12:41:06 PM
I think they fight for pecking order all the time.  They are just still in the fall flock mode and should break out of that soon.
Makes sense... thanks for the response.

crow

Quote from: ETXhunter93 on February 16, 2023, 11:53:43 AM
Three longbeards were crossing the road together the other day. Does that mean they haven't started fighting for pecking order yet?

No, it just means they were trying to get to the other side

MK M GOBL

Not at all, these are more than likely brood mates (brothers) who have just stayed together, they will work together to achieve the same goal. There is a definite pecking order to them, and there are keyways in determining this. There are many ques to learning the pecking order, I always target the Alpha and at times when I have 2 tags in the pocket or hunting with another, we are able to double up on birds and have done this a lot. Learning the biology of these birds is one more step in that road to success, some will never take that time or learn what to look for, and some seasoned hunters will know what they are looking for. This is a big part of why I designed/developed my White-Headed Strutter and part of the Dominance Game. Differences in Head Color, Body Position, Snood and more...

Here's a picture of the Alpha/Beta/Omega(s)

MK M GOBL

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: crow on February 16, 2023, 04:25:05 PM

No, it just means they were trying to get to the other side

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 16, 2023, 04:48:48 PM

Not at all, these are more than likely brood mates (brothers) who have just stayed together, they will work together to achieve the same goal. There is a definite pecking order to them, and there are keyways in determining this. There are many ques to learning the pecking order, I always target the Alpha and at times when I have 2 tags in the pocket or hunting with another, we are able to double up on birds and have done this a lot. Learning the biology of these birds is one more step in that road to success, some will never take that time or learn what to look for, and some seasoned hunters will know what they are looking for. This is a big part of why I designed/developed my White-Headed Strutter and part of the Dominance Game. Differences in Head Color, Body Position, Snood and more...

Here's a picture of the Alpha/Beta/Omega(s)

MK M GOBL
Good info. Thanks!

Greg Massey

Pecking orders are 24/7 same with a boss hen ...

Turkeyman

It's really neat to watch them sort out a pecking order. Last fall while bow hunting for deer two separate flocks came together. One had a tom and five hens; the other had three toms and 7 hens so sixteen total. Well...a real donnybrook came about. Hens with hens, toms with toms. It lasted for a couple days but they finally got it sorted out. Watching them for days afterwards all was serene...a contented flock of sixteen. But once a pecking order is established that doesn't mean it isn't challenged. At any time of the year and at any point in time a hen or gobbler can and may challenge their status.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Turkeyman on March 01, 2023, 10:03:02 AM
But once a pecking order is established that doesn't mean it isn't challenged. At any time of the year and at any point in time a hen or gobbler can and may challenge their status.

Agreed with one exception. I'd change "may challenge" to "will challenge."
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

silvestris

The hen chooses which gobbler to mate with, and he is not necessarily the dominant gobbler.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

MK M GOBL

Quote from: silvestris on March 05, 2023, 09:39:06 PM
The hen chooses which gobbler to mate with, and he is not necessarily the dominant gobbler.

A hen will/can mate with several different toms and each can fertilizer some of her eggs, she does to ensure that at least a portion of her eggs will hatch. We have had jakes breed jennys that were not mature enough to be "potent" and eggs would not hatch.

MK M GOBL

Twowithone

Saw that yesterday at my brothers camp 2 longbeards and 3 jakes wow those jakes were giving the longbeards some grief for sure then like a light switch being turned on the 2 longbeards started giving the jakes the same treatment the 2 longbeards walked up the hill and were in strut. Watched all of this while having a cup of joe in the mornin. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Lcmacd 58

This is a fun time of year to be watching the social interaction

Lcmacd 58

I watch turkeys alot .... and have a tame 1 at the house .... they argue all year long .... but there is a pecking order