OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Auto-Stretch Questions  (Read 853 times)

Offline Acvoorhees1989

Auto-Stretch Questions
« on: February 07, 2023, 06:23:12 PM »
Hi!! I recently purchased an auto stretch jig from Feather Ridge and would like to pick some brains with a few questions!  I’m not looking to get anyone’s secrets just curious about a couple things. I’ve gotten a 3 reed Combo cut down to what I like in a call and can consistently build them. However, when I try to turn the same call into a batwing, the sounds just not there. I have never been big on a batwing so maybe I’m just not hearing the turkey in it. Again, I don’t want y’all’s recipes… but is this a time when you would increase or decrease side tension or back tension?  Also.. when changing reed thickness how much adjustment is needed in the side tension if any??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Auto-Stretch Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 01:15:46 PM »
The "autostretch" idea is a good one, but it only takes into account one of many factors that impact the sound that any given mouth call will have.  When you throw in such factors as reed thicknesses, number of reeds, reed colors (mostly related to latex batch composition), the cut design, cut angles, cut depths, cut location on the call, back stretch, front stretch, etc.,...not to mention the individual user's mechanics and abilities,...it is easy to see that relying on a single factor like the latex stretch in call construction is pretty much the mouth-call-construction equivalent of a "crapshoot". 

As one who has dabbled in mouth call making for many years, I can tell you with some level of confidence that it is better to construct a call using whatever combination of factors listed above that you think you want to try.  Then, starting with single reed cuts in the call, try the call, and continue to make cuts towards whatever call designs you think work best for you.  In my opinion, that is the best thing to do.  Very minute changes in any of those factors will impact the sound of a mouth call. 

Now, to try to answer your question about reed thickness and tensions:  I have personally found, based on my mechanics, that heavier latex combinations need more tension to achieve my desired sounds in a call, regardless of the call design.  Conversely, lighter latex/proph calls require less tension.  That is the generality that I have found for myself.  Others may feel differently based on their calling mechanics and skill level with mouth calls. 

I'm with you, though, regarding batwings compared to just about any other call design.  I have rarely found a batwing call that I like better than most other call cuts.  Yet, it seems there are quite a few folks that swear by them.

Offline Zeke6685

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 01:21:36 PM »
Sent you a message.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 12:33:07 PM »
For me, .170-.185 seems to be the sweet spot for the clipped V calls that I make using the auto stretch.

We need more information regarding your first question of increasing or decreasing tension. Think of the latex as balloon when you were a kid, the tighter stretched, the higher pitched the squeal when you blew on it. A turkey call is the same way. That should help you decide whether you need more or less side tension.

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 02:13:41 PM »
I try to set the tension so that I get soft talk while also allowing for a good cut. Low tension makes the call easier to run and gives you good soft-talk (purr/bubble clucks), but you'll need at least a minimal amount of tension to cut. I'm not an expert call maker, but I usually start with a side tension that allows that and then play with other factors at that tension. If I can't get what I want at that tension after modifying other factors (latex thickness, number of reeds, spacing, etc.) I'll modify the tension and then turn the other knobs again.   
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think - Moliere