OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Helpful Tips and Tricks

Started by Greg Massey, February 03, 2023, 10:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Name a helpful tip or trick you can share with all of us ...  My little tip - buy one of those Dollar Tree Store - men's Shaving Brush. The best 1.25 cents you can spend for brushing off your calls especially pot calls after conditioning them. This way you don't have to blow on your calls etc...

Sir-diealot

Tupperware Little Wonders 6oz bowls for keeping your pot calls dry. I have about 15 of them. Oh buy the older ones if you can, the new ones are VERY shiny and seem to be the colors of a turkey from what I have seen.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mountainhunter1

For those who use rubber bands on their box calls to keep them secure while walking. Try the rubber bands off of fresh vegetables such as broccoli, Leeks and asparagus, etc.  They are usually either blue or green in color.

I am not sure what is the huge difference, but all I can tell you is that they are some of the strongest I have used and they will last for a very very long time. I have some that I have used for two-three years which is unheard of for a rubber band.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Dtrkyman

Go to the range with a box or two of target/dove loads, shoot them all with your off hand, have killed a handful of birds over the years that snuck in on the wrong side, a quick swap of shoulders and it all over for mr gobbler!

Tom007

A little trick I use. When ever I set up against a tree for a gobbler, I always grab a branch and set it along side me. With little movement, I can slowly rake the branch through the leaves at my side to mimic a feeding hen. Works real well.....
"Solo hunter"

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Tom007 on February 04, 2023, 04:51:18 PM
A little trick I use. When ever I set up against a tree for a gobbler, I always grab a branch and set it along side me. With little movement, I can slowly rake the branch through the leaves at my side to mimic a feeding hen. Works real well.....

Excellent advice. I always have a branch with me to scratch in the leaves to help him take those last few steps to get into range.

Another tip, if you cannot afford the Woodhaven pots covers (Al from Enticer makes some as well), you can just save the Daisy lid off of your sour cream container and they will fit about 90 percent of the pot calls just about perfect. Take a little camo paint and give them a quick spray out in the yard to get rid of that bright white lid. But they work great to keep protect your pot call surfaces from polishing on your clothes and also sweat free.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

paboxcall

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 03, 2023, 10:35:28 PM
Name a helpful tip or trick you can share with all of us ...  My little tip - buy one of those Dollar Tree Store - men's Shaving Brush. The best 1.25 cents you can spend for brushing off your calls especially pot calls after conditioning them. This way you don't have to blow on your calls etc...

While you're at the Dollar store, pick up a pack of the smaller black stretchy hair ties. Great for securing a box call and keeping it quiet while on the move.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

NCL

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on February 04, 2023, 06:33:54 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 04, 2023, 04:51:18 PM

Excellent advice. I always have a branch with me to scratch in the leaves to help him take those last few steps to get into range.

Another tip, if you cannot afford the Woodhaven pots covers (Al from Enticer makes some as well), you can just save the Daisy lid off of your sour cream container and they will fit about 90 percent of the pot calls just about perfect. Take a little camo paint and give them a quick spray out in the yard to get rid of that bright white lid. But they work great to keep protect your pot call surfaces from polishing on your clothes and also sweat free.

Great tip. I need to start collections those tops. Thanks

Tom007

Thanks for all the great tips, as usual Greg, nice informative post.....
"Solo hunter"

guesswho

For the 410 shooters.  Here's a couple nice storage cases for your shells.  The chewing gum container holds nine shells, the other is out of a Hornady 30-06 box, I'm sure other calibers would work as well.   Holds five shells.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Paulmyr

Make sure your logged into onx before you lose cell service.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Dtrkyman

I kill a lot of birds standing up, especially in steep terrain, those birds that go past you out of sight sitting on the ground are dead meat, and you see them coming much easier!

Standing in a pine or cedar or on the back side of a larger hard wood tree, only thing sticking out is half your head and your gun, they have no clue your there!

wyetterp

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 06, 2023, 08:49:43 PM

Also, if it's an area you may lose service, you can download the map. Then your gps still works with no cell coverage. Every pin point & features still work as normal. You can even use it on an old phone with no service as long as you downloaded the map over wifi prior.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Paulmyr

Quote from: wyetterp on February 11, 2023, 04:06:05 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 06, 2023, 08:49:43 PM

Also, if it's an area you may lose service, you can download the map. Then your gps still works with no cell coverage. Every pin point & features still work as normal. You can even use it on an old phone with no service as long as you downloaded the map over wifi prior.

Exactly, but all that only works if your logged in/signed in before you lose cell service.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

ClayR089

Learned it on here last year and it was great. But grab a stick to put under your pad when up against a tree. Will flatten out your position and allow you to sit much more comfortably for longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk