turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you had to chose..

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 03, 2023, 12:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I was listening to the Cuz Strickland podcast with Mark Prudhomme and he asked this question. " If you had to kill a turkey and your life depended on it, and you had to chose between daylight to noon, or noon to dark. What are you choosing?." I thought it was great and I figured I'd ask y'all what you think. For me personally, I'm choosing daylight to noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Daylight till noon, my favorite hours are 7:30-9:00 am.....my witching hours.....
"Solo hunter"

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Tom007 on February 03, 2023, 12:32:53 PM
Daylight till noon, my favorite hours are 7:30-9:00 am.....my witching hours.....
I'm right there with you. I've killed a couple that came in right off the roost, and a couple in the afternoon, but 90% of them are from 7:30 to around 9:30.

Happy

Early season,noon to dark. Late season daylight to noon.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

btomlin

Turkeybutt

Daylight to noon after that I'm napping.

aclawrence

Well since I can't hunt past 1:00 I'm choosing daylight til noon. Since I get my butt handed to me in that time frame I have to assume I would knock em' in the dirt the second half lol. It can't be worse than the first half hahaha. I love the gobbling on the roost. Is definitely pick the first half just to hear the gobbling.

Old Timer

Our spring season is till noon. So I would chose that. That said I have taken most 10-12. Good day.

paboxcall

To Cuz's point "if my life depended on it," rather than my personal preference, you will find me in the roost area come evening and fly up time.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

eggshell

I agree with Cuz, noon till dark. For simple reasons. There is more time from noon on in the spring and once it's dark I can hide better if someone is going to kill me. That is also a vague question. Since there were no conditions or parameters I would also be packing a .243 or a drilling and I'd probably have some bait out. I'd pick a field with known turkey activity and the first bird out would die, Jake, Hen or gobbler. Heck I might even set one of gobblenut's trotlines. If my life is on the line it's no holds barred Katy....

You really need to be specific in these scenarios LOL.

grayfox

Quote from: eggshell on February 03, 2023, 01:47:59 PM
I agree with Cuz, noon till dark. For simple reasons. There is more time from noon on in the spring and once it's dark I can hide better if someone is going to kill me. That is also a vague question. Since there were no conditions or parameters I would also be packing a .243 or a drilling and I'd probably have some bait out. I'd pick a field with known turkey activity and the first bird out would die, Jake, Hen or gobbler. Heck I might even set one of gobblenut's trotlines. If my life is on the line it's no holds barred Katy....

You really need to be specific in these scenarios LOL.

I won't criticize you for that! When your life depends on it throw the rule book out the window! LOL
Early season I would say morning. Late season I would say evening. But if my life depended on it I'd probably be dead anyway as bad of a turkey hunter as I am so it wouldn't matter.

GobbleNut

Noting eggshell's strategy and explanation, I will concur and add that I would also be applying for a spot in the nearest witness protection program as added insurance.   ;D

Now, if I was to be serious for a moment, although that is not my natural state of being, I would definitely go with the morning program (and maybe fudge beyond that noon cut-off if needed).  I have reached the point over my many decades of turkey hunting that I rarely have the energy or desire to expend much effort to kill a gobbler in the afternoon, although I have done so "as was necessary".   

However, if it was a "kill or be killed" imperative, I probably would adjust my increasingly lackadaisical attitude a might.  In addition, one can always fall back on that Jimmy Buffett/Alan Jackson song "it's always morning somewhere",...or was that "five o'clock"?...   :angel9:   ;D

sswv

can't hunt evenings where I live so the choice is easy for me. daylight till noon

Sir-diealot

I had better do it from daylight till noon or I am going to jail.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE