Main Menu

Best Sounding Slate Calls

Started by jbrown, February 01, 2023, 12:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunghit

I also carry a Buster red slate and persimmon pot. Sounds very nice
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

zsully

I have a Twyatt gray slate/slate and that thing just flat out runs and the birds love it. One  gobbler loved it so much it flew over a lake and strutted 150 yards down the gun barrel before I missed him at 10 yards. All this happened with Twyatt watching too. He laughed....I cursed, cried and wanted to crawl in a hole. I only carry 2 pots with me at a time, the slate/slate is the only call I own that has never sat the bench.

ChubCreek

Lots of great options for slate calls out there. My favorite color overall would probably be green slate. Green seems to have the most range and is a little bit easier to play.
Some of my favorites.

Grey slate- Wynne maple , Yingling sycamore, Mabry cedar
Favorite Strikers for grey- Sinclair hickory, Stuckey hickory, Stuckey b&w ebony, JLH frogwood, JLH tulipwood

Green- Lonzo canarywood , Morganstern blue mahoe, Dustin Jones cedar

Purple-Lonzo rosewood

Red- Buster persimmon

Same general favorite strikers for green, purple and red- Holzman dymondwood, Holzman snakewood, Fowler 2 piece snakewood, Fowler dymondwood, Townsend dymondwood, Stuckey bloodwood

Osceola352

David hollaran

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Manager8

Grey slate my favorite 2
Ted Pete peters
Roger Parks

dan

Tommy Carter purple state over glass is $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joneshunter

I got a M.A.D Super aluminator and that thing will sing. If you could get a deal on one I would buy it but they go pretty high on eBay. You might would be better off buying a custom aluminum call if you can't find one for less that 50$

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Joneshunter on March 25, 2024, 07:53:07 PM
I got a M.A.D Super aluminator and that thing will sing. If you could get a deal on one I would buy it but they go pretty high on eBay. You might would be better off buying a custom aluminum call if you can't find one for less that 50$
I have the same call I bought 2 of them when they came out in the mid to late 90's. It stays in my vest, I can't remember going to the woods without it since I got it. Its not the best sounding call to my ears but it's pretty much death to a gobbler. The best sounding call I have it a grey slate over glass in walnut the Jim Pollard made and signed. I called a bird up with it and put it up. Get it out and play all the time, I just don't take it to the woods in fear of something happening to it.

Joneshunter

Quote from: Bottomland OG on March 25, 2024, 08:51:54 PM
I have the same call I bought 2 of them when they came out in the mid to late 90's. It stays in my vest, I can't remember going to the woods without it since I got it. Its not the best sounding call to my ears but it's pretty much death to a gobbler. The best sounding call I have it a grey slate over glass in walnut the Jim Pollard made and signed. I called a bird up with it and put it up. Get it out and play all the time, I just don't take it to the woods in fear of something happening to it.
what striker do you pair with the aluminator? I use a JLH one piece hickory and I thinks it sounds pretty good. Might have to experiment a little more striker wise though

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Joneshunter on March 25, 2024, 09:14:15 PM
Quote from: Bottomland OG on March 25, 2024, 08:51:54 PM
what striker do you pair with the aluminator? I use a JLH one piece hickory and I thinks it sounds pretty good. Might have to experiment a little more striker wise though
I have tried tons but the one that sounds the best is is a green laminated one piece that a older gentleman made me back in 2005. That black 2 piece woodhaven deluxe wooden striker plays good with it also.