OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Sounding Slate Calls

Started by jbrown, February 01, 2023, 12:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Loyalist84 on February 03, 2023, 06:12:07 PM
I ordered a Nathan Taylor pot with a purple slate surface in a piece of walnut that I sent him, and it's killer. It has all the throaty old hen sound that most slates do with a touch of aggression compared to grey slate.

I think I know exactly what you mean. I recently got him to build me a purple slate over glass in a walnut quarter sawn pot, and it sounds so different from most purple slates - and it is one of my top four pots now. And that purple looks real nice paired with that walnut as well.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Crowstalker

It's awesome to all the different likes. For me it's going to be halloran grey slate from early 2000's. Amazing stuff back then. Purple Heart or diamond striker my favorite. Old Steve reeves 101. Another great call. Glenn Marrer grey slate in maple pot if you love yaulk   I'm in south Florida so I like a higher pitched call. But have gotten multiple grand and Royal slams with those calls.  Now I'm into trumpets just to make it harder. Pot a good pot is hard to beat. 

Crowstalker

The Steve reeves  was really called wild turkey 101. Grey slate aluminum soundboard which you can make softer sounds flipping it over and running the back side. If you know reeves you know his calls. I will be listing a bunch of his calls in the near future.  But I do love my older halloran calls for sure when he first started. Cacklin Crystal calls are amazing.

captpete

Oak Ridge Custom Calls--Jimmy Schaffer--Black Walnut/slate/slate
MAC--Walnut/red slate/glass
Strut Zone Game Calls--Paul Hicks Jr.--Wormy Chestnut Green Slate/Glass
Buster's Persimmon red slate

Notsoyoungturk

I have a Wendell Rye chestnut gray slate over glass and a Sinclair Kingwood green slate over glass that I really like
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

mudhen

Red slate over glass, but gray, green, purple are all fine too...

Mostly Light's Out, laminated, hard woods, I carry several each hunt...

I like slate Kaiser Kalls too...

One I never hunt without is a Sinclair Ti...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

trclark

I have a lot of slate calls but the one I reach for and have the most confidence in is John Sinclair red slate over glass in walnut pot just has that pop, especially when cutting and purring wouldn't trade it for anything!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

trclark

Ipe striker that came with call

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the current well known pot builders or any color slate, wood or striker combo. They ALL will get the job done.

At the present, the one I keep coming back to is a Buster Halford persimmon/red slate pot with a Jeff Harrison tulipwood striker. Additionally Buster's prices are very good when compared to some of the other big name call makers.Lastly, he's a really nice guy.

Guskie

Quote from: PalmettoRon on February 10, 2024, 09:05:08 AM
At the present, the one I keep coming back to is a Buster Halford persimmon/red slate pot with a Jeff Harrison tulipwood striker.

Dang Ron, that exact striker/call combo is my favorite also !

TJ3152

I also use Buster's persimmon red slate with canarywood and frogwood strikers.

gobblers roost

Quote from: Tom007 on February 01, 2023, 09:34:03 AM
Grey Slate is my favorite. My Paul Platz Maple Slate is one that gets lots of time afield. It has a great sound matched with his striker. But I do have one Slate that really is my go-to when nothing else is working. It's my Cody Spec 1 gray Slate. I got this call from Bill the first year it came out to the public. This call has helped me with numerous stubborn Tom's over the years, nostalgically my favorite call in my earliest years of my Turkey career.
Love mine also.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OsceolaDreams

Busters Persimmon Red Slate is hard to top

bbcoach

A gray slate is my favorite hands down.  Start with a dense wood pot, a glass sound board and a laminated striker, like JLH Frogwood or a dymondwood, and you'll be on the right track for a killer slate call IMO.  There are many Great callmakers and slates out there, but I'll be the odd man out and say this, the 2 slates that I have that have brought the Most turkeys to the end of my gun barrel are 1. Primos Ol Betsy slate and 2. Primos Jackpot slate-with a good, laminated striker.  Not sure what it is but the turkeys sure do like them. 

spurs2bgobblin

Calls:
Sinclair grey slate over copper ziricote pot --OR-- Rye grey slate over glass spalted red oak pot

Buster red slate over glass blackline persimmon pot

Roberts green slate over glass red cedar pot

Sinclair purple slate over copper tulipwood pot a.k.a "The Purple Tulip"

Strikers:
JLH black locust, cedar, tulipwood, pecan, sucupira
Fowler honey locust, dogwood, mystery wood, osage snakewood
Sinclair persimmon, dymondwood, malaysian blackwood, gabon ebony
Fred Cox bamboo corncob (modeled after Neil Cost design)

:turkey2:
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."