Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The turkeys are haunting and mocking me!

Started by Brillo, January 31, 2023, 06:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

Last Saturday my wife and I were in a busy town on a road with four lanes and a turn lane.  Solid traffic.  Out from the curb steps a 2 year old Tom Turkey that is intent on crossing the street and I had to stop!  I slowly edged around him toward the other lane where cars were zipping by.  He seemed to be trying to get us in an accident!  Do you think he knew my intentions for April and the preparations I am engaged in?  Fortunately, once we were past he did a 180 and returned to safety.  Shortly later we saw a small flock in someone's  yard.
Likely another turkey hunter.  My wife is now wondering how in the world I have never been able to shoot a turkey.  ???  Me too.

Notsoyoungturk

Just like deer, they seem to have this innate sense of when they are in season and threatened.  My wife has commented more than once about how easy hunting  should be based on their behavior in the off season.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

GobbleNut

Quote from: Brillo on January 31, 2023, 06:36:30 AM
Last Saturday my wife and I were in a busy town on a road with four lanes and a turn lane.  Solid traffic.  Out from the curb steps a 2 year old Tom Turkey that is intent on crossing the street and I had to stop!  I slowly edged around him toward the other lane where cars were zipping by.  He seemed to be trying to get us in an accident!  Do you think he knew my intentions for April and the preparations I am engaged in?  Fortunately, once we were past he did a 180 and returned to safety.  Shortly later we saw a small flock in someone's  yard.
Likely another turkey hunter.  My wife is now wondering how in the world I have never been able to shoot a turkey.  ???  Me too.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  I believe this is exactly the reason why people that don't hunt turkeys,...and see them in places where they are protected and/or live in areas where they come to not view people as a threat,...wonder what the fascination is in hunting them.  That is fine by me.  I am not worried about explaining the difference to them.  We don't need any more folks out there competing with us for the truly wild ones!  It is best to keep them in the dark...   ;D :D

jhoward11

We know better!!! Just like she wonders why I go hit a little white ball into a hole, pick it up and do it again. Hmmm.

SDK

There is some huntable land around the industrial park my company is in. Last year I found a large group of turkeys in there that included one really big Tom.

It was my first go at turkey hunting, and while I shot one from a group in another area, that big guy disappeared during the spring season. I assumed he got popped by someone else....

Literally the evening that the season ended, that MF walked right out into the street in front of my car and I almost hit him! The only thing missing was him throwing up a middle finger at me. I did see him several more times, including after the fall season ended, so pretty sure he is still out there.

It's now "Game On" this year! I figured out where they are roosting over the summer and I'm going to put two trail cams out next week to try and pattern him. If he beats me again this year I will keep improving and working him. I'm out there enough to be 99% sure this area is not hunted by anyone else. I literally throw my hunting boots in the car and scout on my way to work, and have not seen another soul or any sign of hunting anywhere in there