OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Toughest state  (Read 61801 times)

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Toughest state
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:20 PM »
Florida has a 5% success ratio for Turkey hunting , to make things worse habitat is shrinking at a alarming rate
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2019, 08:31:10 AM »
Arkansas
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2019, 11:40:06 AM »
Florida has a 5% success ratio for Turkey hunting , to make things worse habitat is shrinking at a alarming rate
I went to Florida for graduate school for 4 years...

Hunted some of the large public parcels there (that supposedly had birds), and never once heard a bird or saw so much as a footprint anywhere I hunted...

I bass fished other areas that were legal to hunt during turkey season, always with gun and gear in the car...  Never had cause to take it out.

I did see birds, and found that access could be had for a fee (that I could not afford).

In California, there are plenty of birds, but the primary difficulty is access to them; permission to hunt is rarely granted on private ground.  There are public areas that hold birds though (if you have the time and energy to find them).

There are a couple of public areas near me, in which the surrounding private land is loaded with birds, but the public areas are void of them due to excessive pressure.  When you pull up to a 600 acre unit and 12 cars are there, you know it ain't gonna' be good.

In my mind's eye, the most difficult states to hunt for "Joe Hunter" would be those states with limited access or availability.  The "easier" states to hunt would be those states that have decent populations of birds on public area or in which private permission is still easy to be had with a handshake and a thank you.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
Missouri.  2 birds for every hunter and one of those is a hen.
Louisiana probably has one turkey for every 5 hunters and if that turkey is a Gobbler he only gobbles every 3 days lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline roberthyman14

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »
South alabama and north west Florida. Especially public land.  A good season is hot, humid and full of mosquitos.  Not to mention lots of mornings a bird might only gobble once or twice. If you get one good and fired up you can do it. But getting setup on 1 is beyond tough

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2019, 09:00:19 PM »
Arkansas

Ditto

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:35 AM »
It is pretty much whatever state the hunter answering hunts 9 out of 10 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
Alaska

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
If you can kill a big, mature Tom in PA, you can kill one anywhere.

lol
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bamalimbhanger

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
this year was crazy for me in Alabama birds did not even roost in the same branch. they may be a half mile away from the previous morning, I wasted quite a lot of vacation time hunting these crazy  birds . I heard as many as 7 birds in the morning  numerous times. I had several in drumming distance but could never get one to take a ride in my truck .... it was tough really tough .... first time in about 6 years that I have not killed a bird during the season

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2019, 10:59:21 PM »
Missippi

Online Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2019, 02:50:05 PM »
IMHO it’s where there is the most pressure and least amount of birds!

My two easiest birds this year came on public land!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline donjuan

« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
I'm guessing Arkansas because that's all the license plates I see in Kansas
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2020, 08:08:31 PM »
Living on the La / Ms line I hunt both states regularly. My vote goes to La 1st Ms is a close 2nd and Arkansas a close 3rd .  Public land in these 3 are tuffest I’ve hunted .  La population is awful with the infestation of hogs and loose of habitat not to mention years of flooding to top it off . Ms gets pounded by out if staters yearly with its early opening date and the government property’s being burned during nesting annually doesn’t help the population either . Hunting ms public will test your gobbler getter skills and also test your patience with fellow sportsmen having poor sportsmanship skills . 
  I’ve only hunted Arkansas a couple of times but from my limited experience,  it’s seems tuff as La and ms . 

Offline BB30

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2020, 01:09:24 PM »
Yep, I'm from MS. Have hunted a decent number of states. IMO Louisiana, MS, and Alabama are all up there at the top. MS and Bama have better hunting opportunities on public than LA does in my opinion. Therefore I would put LA at the top of the list.

Every sub species has their different challenges though. Whether it be the weather IE wind or temps out west or the swamps and palmetto thickets in Florida they all present a different challenge which is what makes traveling to different states so enjoyable.