OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Toughest state  (Read 61782 times)

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
Re: Toughest state
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
Ive only hunted two states but in NY I slaughter turkeys compared to PA

In my part of PA its a good day if I can find a bird and get it to gobble a really good day.

That's because you live in the wrong part of PA, though if you hunt state game lands about anywhere in our state, you're not only dealing with the birds but every idiot tromping around the woods.  That part ofthe challenge is part of themfun for me though. Almost every public land bird I've taken has been within earshot of another hunter.  I've had almost a s many hunts ruined by those knuckleheads too.  You're right though.  PA isma tough, TOUGH state tomtake a muture bird.  If you can kill a big, mature Tom in PA, you can kill one anywhere. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2018, 01:00:30 AM »
Sounds crazy but Oklahoma... South East Oklahoma in the Ouchiata mountains.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »

Yep,...a perfect example of a public land hunting area with few turkeys that don't like to gobble.  Good place for a guy to test his turkey hunting skills.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
  If you can kill a big, mature Tom in PA, you can kill one anywhere.

True that!!!

Offline Stumpy225

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2018, 10:21:36 PM »
I'm gonna have to say Mississippi.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »
Any small tracks with high pressure, this encompasses alot of WMAs in South eastern states

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2018, 12:59:54 AM »
Hunt many states every year. Usually the Midwest and south. The toughest are hands down #1 Arkansas(high pressure and very few birds) and #2 Mississippi (more birds but tons of pressure). Most other states seem fairly “easy” compared to these two in my opinion. By easy I simply mean that there are more birds with seemingly less pressure, and thus, a higher likelihood of success. As it’s been stated already, every state has tough public land. The states like Arkansas that currently have low bird populations are the toughest.

Offline wade

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »
Right now I'd have to say South Dakota and my home state of North Carolina. Because I hunted my butt off last season in both states and didn't kill a bird. Like has been said, public land and pressured toms make it tough in any state.
Do it outdoors

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2018, 06:53:12 AM »
Don't take this the wrong way...I haven't hunted as many states as some folks on here, but I have had the opportunity to hunt several. The truth in my opinion. There are very very hard to hunt birds in every state. Every last one. Ive hunted birds impossible to screw with in just about all of them at some point. Ive seen birds in Kansas that took flight at the site of a decoy at 300 yards away. Like many have mentioned they were pressured birds and I was hunting them at the end of season where they had already been hunted to death. I used to think the general consensus of being from the southeast that we had the hardest birds to hunt and in a sense there is some truth to that. But every time I go out of state to the Midwest or anywhere....I always seem to roll up on birds tougher than my homestate of Mississippi. Like many have mentioned, if birds are pressured and have been hunted hard, or if numbers just suck in general....you will have your work cut out for you no matter what part of the country you are in.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
Louisiana is pretty tough on public land compared to some other states I've hunted. The low population density is the main reason. We have turkeys in small pockets instead of total coverage like some states.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
I have only hunted DE (home state), PA & MO. And they kicking my rear in PA. 5 yrs and no bird.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2018, 11:58:56 PM »
Unless you have somebody to let you hunt their property NY is a nightmare because all the public land is over run and if that is not bad enough all the city boys come up and shoot at everything that moves.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Txag12

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »

Yep an my favorite place to hunt. Would enjoy meeting you some day and talking turkeys since we cover some of the same ground

Offline MiamiE

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »
Florida has to be the toughest.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2018, 08:09:07 AM »
Florida has to be the toughest.

Florida is the "poster boy" state for the argument many of us have made, which is that it all depends on where you get to hunt.  Florida public land hunts might well be the toughest in the country, but from what I have experienced in my four trips there, private land hunting is pretty much a slam dunk.