OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Toughest state  (Read 62014 times)

Offline jyoung

Re: Toughest state
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
Public land in any of the southern states is tough! But public land in southwest Mississippi is by far the hardest I have ever had to hunt a turkey! There are plenty of birds, but there is plenty of pressure to go with it.  Those birds have heard every call in the book.
Jonathan Young

Offline Executioner

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
Public land in any of the southern states is tough! But public land in southwest Mississippi is by far the hardest I have ever had to hunt a turkey! There are plenty of birds, but there is plenty of pressure to go with it.  Those birds have heard every call in the book.
Have stomped quite a few heads down that way in the Homochitto National Forest. Great hunting, but like you said, TONS of pressure. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

Offline CASH

• Legendary
  • Global Moderator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
Alabama!

What?  You didn't like hunting the thick stuff and hills here?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Offline CASH

• Legendary
  • Global Moderator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
C.a.s.h. ,Hardcore and myself have told you all that there is no turkeys in Alabama.
:smiley-char092:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

bird

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »
Alabama!

Hell No!   :begging:

Offline mossybird

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »
I say the toughest state would be be Alabama. I never hunted there but my dad and grandpaw would always tell me about how the birds are always henned up and this and that. Overall I am pretty sure Easterns are the absolute toughest birds to hunt.

Offline CASH

• Legendary
  • Global Moderator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
Alabama!

Hell No!   :begging:

You big wuss!   :goofball:

Offline Boomstick

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »
i havent hunted turkey anywere yet, but im from south east bama and i went out to the spot ill be hunting at and just sat as they were coming off there roost and without even calling they were walking within 15 to 20 yards of me. i dont know if i just found a good spot or what, but with some of the toms i saw while i was just sitting there for few hours, im liking the looks of this season.

charlie
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

Offline slave601

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »
id say south mississippi and alabama are bout the same. but even ole preston pittman said it. if you hunt perry greene and forrest county in mississippi your huntin the hardest turkeys there is and im from greene :lol:
"thinnin the flock"

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:45 PM »
The toughest state to hunt in without a doubt is the one I decide to hunt in.You know what i mean.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline paladin

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »
I would say Mississippi. We can't hunt jakes and they are they are smart by year two.
"have gun-will travel"

Offline cahaba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »
#1. Alabama public land

#2. Alabama private land

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
Although I've only hunted 3 states for spring gobblers, my vote goes for Florida public land with no quota hunt needed. I've looked at license plates and they read like a Walt Disney World parking lot. Every Tom, Dick and Harry with visions of getting their slam and a thin wallet like me, hit these places every spring.  :fud:

Offline cfrye11

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
N.Y cause we only can hunt till noon.

:wave:

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
Have hunted public land in MS,SD, FL, MO, and KS.

Those public land Osceolas are pretty slick....But so are the MS public land gobblers...Hard to pick one which one is tougher..Had it not been for the outlaws, baiting, and roost shooting, the Florida birds would have definitely been easier than the MS birds. People always say that are tighter lipped, but that has to due with the terrain more than anything. You just can't hear them gobble as far in those thick swamps as you can in other terrain.

I have ran into my fair share of disrespectful resident and out of state hunters in both MS and FL too..

If I had to pick a the "toughest" state i'd go by the # days hunted per harvest...And in that case it'd be public land in MS.