OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Toughest state  (Read 61793 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Toughest state
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2021, 03:11:21 AM »
   I agree with Sodfather-- New York because Spring Hunting ends at 12 Noon.

Online Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2021, 05:59:34 AM »
Lots of states end at 12 noon. My buddy who’s hunted most every state plus Mexico a few times told me Alabama. Said the birds don’t gobble good ftom all the pressure. Unless we’ve hunted a bunch all we know is what we know. I can’t say I personally would venture a guess.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2021, 07:48:15 AM »
Lots of states end at 12 noon. My buddy who’s hunted most every state plus Mexico a few times told me Alabama. Said the birds don’t gobble good ftom all the pressure. Unless we’ve hunted a bunch all we know is what we know. I can’t say I personally would venture a guess.

Agree here, I think on opening day in all the states, the birds are easier due to not receiving pressure yet. A Jersey gobbler on public land the final week of the season can be tough quarry. I mostly hunt Eastern’s, so I can mostly relate to their states. I think any state can be tough depending whether it’s pressured public land, swampy less accessible land etc. Obviously the state that receives the most hunting pressure and limited access in my mind would be on the list of tough states to hunt. Be safe...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Cull_none

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »
Arkansas. The past few years I’ve went on a lot of nature walks with a gun rather than turkey hunt. Our birds are hurting.

Offline TonyTurk

« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2021, 02:43:31 PM »
The toughest state seems to always be the one that I am hunting in at the time. 

That probably says more about me than the state..

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »
Hunted Ga,AR,WI,Mn, and Mo all public. AR was toughest. Been there 2 times times. Heard some birds but the only thing I brought home both times was a bad case of poison oak.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline bushwhacker

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
The toughest turkey today may be the easiest tomorrow. Which is why we call it hunting.