OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: PA game lands scouting.  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Strutbuster98

PA game lands scouting.
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:35:04 PM »
If one were to go onto public mountain ground in Central Pennsylvania, where your not familiar with the territory at all. Where would you put a game camera and why. What would you look for when scouting that area and what makes you think it's a good spot? I'm trying to locate some new hunting spots kind of deeper away from others a place where it's unlikely to run into another hunter or hunt pressured birds.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: PA game lands scouting.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:30:27 PM »
Skip the camera.

Invest a few early mornings before the season starts, and get to the high points of that tract of ground you are eyeing up and listen.

Based on what you hear, or don't hear, plan accordingly.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 10:26:20 PM »
There are no turkeys on public mountain ground in central Pennsylvania. ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:59:05 AM »
Ive never used trail cameras for any amount of turkey scouting so I don't have tips there.

I typically speed scout looking for tracks, scratchings, droppings, feathers. Areas I find sign in I will return before season and listen at day break. Early season east facing points and benches above creek bottoms will get green first.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:32:02 AM »
Cameras are one of the new fangled devices guys are marketed to think they need. They see no other way as you didn’t. As others said skip it, forget about it. You need to drive large areas at daybreak and either simply listen or shock gobble birds or long distance view them. Stay away from their areas. Learn/locate as many spots as you can. They’ll soon be in smaller breeding flocks. If you know where you’ve heard lots they’ll break up somewhere nearby. Best bet imo would be audibly by truck, bike something. You’ll be limited to time so walking won’t cut it. I’d use a truck and preferably most often high where you can hear

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:17:10 AM »
Cameras are one of the new fangled devices guys are marketed to think they need. They see no other way as you didn’t. As others said skip it, forget about it. You need to drive large areas at daybreak and either simply listen or shock gobble birds or long distance view them. Stay away from their areas. Learn/locate as many spots as you can. They’ll soon be in smaller breeding flocks. If you know where you’ve heard lots they’ll break up somewhere nearby. Best bet imo would be audibly by truck, bike something. You’ll be limited to time so walking won’t cut it. I’d use a truck and preferably most often high where you can hear

Right on target!  I will re-emphasize (like we have done many times before).  Don't wait for those gobblers to tell you where they are on THEIR time schedule.  Make them tell you where they are on YOURS so you can cover as much of the area you intend to hunt as you can in that window of time you have available to find them.  (...but again, do this with a conscious respect and regard for your fellow hunters who might also be out there)  ;D

Offline Strutbuster98

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 10:31:05 AM »
I've never put cameras out for birds just was an idea. Thanks guys ill be scouting in my jeep all over the mountains.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 10:15:17 PM »
I would run ridges looking for shock calls or gobbles. I’d look for valleys with water and fields, then run ridges around them.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline ssettle

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »
Take a drive look for areas that have old log landing ,logging roads. Pine, hollows leading to open area. gaslines are a good bet. I've killed many a bird off of gaslines. You'll have you work cut out for you due to the hard core turkey hunters in Central Pa

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 06:17:23 AM »
My PA hunting is exclusively on SGLs. Most of them are quite large. Pick one...get there early, well before gobbling time, and hike to the middle of it. Listen. I've had a relative amount of success on SGLs and I attribute most of it to the fact that I don't hunt "road birds". If he can be heard from the road several dozen guys know he's there.