OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Advise for new strikers  (Read 3411 times)

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Advise for new strikers
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2023, 08:06:35 AM »
Much rather spend my money on other things. Tried looking up other makers but just chasing my tail again. I hate facebook. Way to hard figuring out who has what & what's in stock. Also don't feel like having to talk to 12 different people through FB just to figure things out. I thought I was done with FB years ago. Messed that all up.

Any recommendations on a good snakewood, carbon (or waterproof), & frogwood strikers I can purchase.

Recommendations on some striker makers I should check out?

I need out this rabbit hole asap so I can go fall down the longbox & tube rabbit holes. And the dang push pins. Never realized I'd even consider one till this place. Some really impressive ones. I feel I'm going to end up with my vest loaded, a satchel & dragging a duffle sack into the woods at the rate I'm going.  :TrainWreck1:
If you need Jeff’s number I can message it to you. He responds best to texts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online turkey stew

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 09:43:44 AM »
Check out Derek Fowler's website. He is another excellent striker turner with both one piece and two piece sticks.

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2023, 02:45:37 PM »
Check out Derek Fowler's website. He is another excellent striker turner with both one piece and two piece sticks.

Yeah that would be great. I appreciate it.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 02:47:51 PM »

That's the route I'm going to go. Going to try a few from both of them.  Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the good advice! Been spot on

Online bowbird87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 07:12:35 PM »
Slate: heavy hickory bull frog heavy canarywood

Glass/crystal: hormigo pernambuco  Macassar ebony granadillo and Honduras rosewood

Metal: katalox

Ceramic: bloodwood and marble wood

Everything: snakewood and frogwood

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 10:01:22 PM »
Black Locust and Dymondwood if you can find one.  That will cover most every call.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2023, 12:00:54 AM »
Slate: heavy hickory bull frog heavy canarywood

Glass/crystal: hormigo pernambuco  Macassar ebony granadillo and Honduras rosewood

Metal: katalox

Ceramic: bloodwood and marble wood

Everything: snakewood and frogwood

Sounds like great pairings. That Katalox has me intrigued.

Offline snoman4

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2023, 09:03:47 PM »
Much rather spend my money on other things. Tried looking up other makers but just chasing my tail again. I hate facebook. Way to hard figuring out who has what & what's in stock. Also don't feel like having to talk to 12 different people through FB just to figure things out. I thought I was done with FB years ago. Messed that all up.

Any recommendations on a good snakewood, carbon (or waterproof), & frogwood strikers I can purchase.

Recommendations on some striker makers I should check out?

I need out this rabbit hole asap so I can go fall down the longbox & tube rabbit holes. And the dang push pins. Never realized I'd even consider one till this place. Some really impressive ones. I feel I'm going to end up with my vest loaded, a satchel & dragging a duffle sack into the woods at the rate I'm going.  :TrainWreck1:
John Sinclair makes awesome calls and strikers.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Offline mmclain

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2023, 10:44:29 PM »
 :turkey2:Black locust and monterillo

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 06:07:18 PM »
Consistent favorites are snakewood, Mac Ebony (this really is the best ebony striker IMO), ipe, bloodwood, purpleheart, black locust, hickory, yellowheart and cedar.  I like persimmon off and on but the wood is very variable from striker to striker.  Of the true rosewoods, African Blackwood, Amazon and Honduran Rosewood stand out.  The most consistent players will be laminates like Dymondwood and Frogwood because they are all made the same within a brand and there is less variability compared to natural woods.  Probably the same can be said for carbon. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 08:16:45 PM »
Consistent favorites are snakewood, Mac Ebony (this really is the best ebony striker IMO), ipe, bloodwood, purpleheart, black locust, hickory, yellowheart and cedar.  I like persimmon off and on but the wood is very variable from striker to striker.  Of the true rosewoods, African Blackwood, Amazon and Honduran Rosewood stand out.  The most consistent players will be laminates like Dymondwood and Frogwood because they are all made the same within a brand and there is less variability compared to natural woods.  Probably the same can be said for carbon.
Funny you say that about the rosewoods, my favorite is the Brazilian, and I find the Honduran to be the least noteworthy of the three. Just goes to show you have to fry them all, everybody’s ear is different. I love them all

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 08:46:19 PM »
Funny you say that about the rosewoods, my favorite is the Brazilian, and I find the Honduran to be the least noteworthy of the three. Just goes to show you have to fry them all, everybody’s ear is different. I love them all

Or different people made the rosewood strikers.  I imagine not too many people have a Brazilian Rosewood striker.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2023, 12:44:47 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. Took as much advice as I could afford.

Ended up with some Lyman's & JLH.

Lymans I got a snakewood, hickory, & mac ebony.
JLH's got 3 weights of frog wood, heavy cedar, & a bloodwood (jamo's recommendation for ceramic).

Can't wait to try 'em out to see how they sound. Now just want a waterproof that sounds good.

Big thanks to Jamo for the hook up. Awesome to deal with. Top notch seller for sure!

Offline greentrout

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2023, 03:30:21 AM »
You should be all set there! Some serious turkey sticks.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2023, 04:19:38 PM »
Does anyone use anything from zero game calls? Just stumbled on their site & the stuff looks pretty good. Curious of some feedback about their stuff. I don't know anything about them & didn't find any reviews beside a call that was won in a give away.