turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advise for new strikers

Started by wyetterp, January 28, 2023, 02:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

You are pretty well set for strikers.  The Frogwood and snakewood will bring out the BEST in everything they touch.  Cedar should do a lot of the soft stuff.  Many good choices!  Only other option I would look for is a heavy Dymond wood.  Now it's Practice Time!   

wyetterp

You're right. Ran em a little tonight with a handful of pots. Y'all nailed it on the head with the recommendations for sure.

Also, have a all weather & snakewood from Sinclair ordered. Not really sure why I even added the snakewood  :drool: but want to try his shape & see. I will end up picking up a heavy Dymond for sure at some point.

Jamo told me he liked the bloodwood the most for his ceramic. He was right about it being a great sound. Purrs & clucks real soft easily with no skips. Real mellow & very clean sounding.

I will say there really is a big difference in the sounds & volume from every one of those strikers. On Lonzo's stoned aluminum especially. I get a different turkey from every striker. Some of the really hard ones & two of the frogwoods will make your ears bleed if I crank down on 'em. Crazy loud. Way loader then I like to call but I guess there are times where the turkeys are a few counties over. They still sound great on the soft stuff too.

The one that surprised me the most is the heavy cedar. Works great on all the pots but sounds higher pitched & more like a younger hen. Already know that one will always be in my vest. Just using that along with whichever other one gives me the ability to sound like two totally different birds on the same pot. It's a big difference in the sound on all the pots.

I need to keep playing around with them to whittle down which ones will stay in my vest. Knowing me I'll start out with all of them till the turkeys tell me what they like.

Thanks everyone for all the help. There really is a huge difference in the variety & that's what I was hoping for. Never know what they might react too. 

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

bbcoach

IMO you are heading in the right direction with this statement :  I need to keep playing around with them to whittle down which ones will stay in my vest. Knowing me I'll start out with all of them till the turkeys tell me what they like. 

Let the Turkeys Be Your JUDGE and JURY!

By the way, Glenda Green makes a GREAT striker Roll up that keeps your strikers at the ready.  The roll up features plenty of pockets for multiple strikers (10 to 15) and is very convenient when setting up or on the move.  Pull it out of a vest pocket, roll them out and use, then back in the roll up and back in the vest pocket.

chbarnha

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 02, 2023, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: chbarnha on February 02, 2023, 08:16:45 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 02, 2023, 06:07:18 PM
Consistent favorites are snakewood, Mac Ebony (this really is the best ebony striker IMO), ipe, bloodwood, purpleheart, black locust, hickory, yellowheart and cedar.  I like persimmon off and on but the wood is very variable from striker to striker.  Of the true rosewoods, African Blackwood, Amazon and Honduran Rosewood stand out.  The most consistent players will be laminates like Dymondwood and Frogwood because they are all made the same within a brand and there is less variability compared to natural woods.  Probably the same can be said for carbon.
Funny you say that about the rosewoods, my favorite is the Brazilian, and I find the Honduran to be the least noteworthy of the three. Just goes to show you have to fry them all, everybody's ear is different. I love them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or different people made the rosewood strikers.  I imagine not too many people have a Brazilian Rosewood striker.

I am referring to the 4 different rosewood strikers I have, all made by Jeff. My favorite is the Brazilian and my least favorite is the Honduran.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: chbarnha on February 05, 2023, 07:15:39 AM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 02, 2023, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: chbarnha on February 02, 2023, 08:16:45 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 02, 2023, 06:07:18 PM
Consistent favorites are snakewood, Mac Ebony (this really is the best ebony striker IMO), ipe, bloodwood, purpleheart, black locust, hickory, yellowheart and cedar.  I like persimmon off and on but the wood is very variable from striker to striker.  Of the true rosewoods, African Blackwood, Amazon and Honduran Rosewood stand out.  The most consistent players will be laminates like Dymondwood and Frogwood because they are all made the same within a brand and there is less variability compared to natural woods.  Probably the same can be said for carbon.
Funny you say that about the rosewoods, my favorite is the Brazilian, and I find the Honduran to be the least noteworthy of the three. Just goes to show you have to fry them all, everybody's ear is different. I love them all

Or different people made the rosewood strikers.  I imagine not too many people have a Brazilian Rosewood striker.

I am referring to the 4 different rosewood strikers I have, all made by Jeff. My favorite is the Brazilian and my least favorite is the Honduran.

You have 2 good ones then.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

wyetterp

Quote from: bbcoach on February 05, 2023, 06:08:13 AM
IMO you are heading in the right direction with this statement :  I need to keep playing around with them to whittle down which ones will stay in my vest. Knowing me I'll start out with all of them till the turkeys tell me what they like. 

Let the Turkeys Be Your JUDGE and JURY!

By the way, Glenda Green makes a GREAT striker Roll up that keeps your strikers at the ready.  The roll up features plenty of pockets for multiple strikers (10 to 15) and is very convenient when setting up or on the move.  Pull it out of a vest pocket, roll them out and use, then back in the roll up and back in the vest pocket.

Thanks...

Been eyeing Mrs. Glenda's stuff for a while. Might order the roll & I want to see if she would cover some boot gaiters in mossy oak for me. Looks like everything she makes is great quality for sure.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.