OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Advise for new strikers  (Read 3413 times)

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Advise for new strikers
« on: January 28, 2023, 02:52:42 AM »
Just lucked up & got 4 new calls from Lonzo. Hoping to place an order with JLH & need some recommendations for good matches to Lon's pots. Looking to order 4-6 new strikers & a waterproof striker. Let me know what you'd recommend or like the most that pairs well.

The four pots are....
-Ivory Acrylic, Crystal over carbon fiber

-Black Acrylic, Stoned Aluminium

-Bullet Tree, Ceramic

-Bullet Tree over Osage, Green Slate

Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Advise for new strikers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 07:21:01 AM »
Jeff’s carbon tip is a heck of a striker so there’s your all-weather. As far as the other strikers, given what you’ve got I’d go with his “toad,” snakewood (more expensive but worth the price of two striker choices), dirty hickory, and maybe a cedar. The toad and snakewood will run all of those calls, and really shine on the harder surfaces. The hickory will be a great mid weight striker on the slates, and cedar is a stupidly light option that’ll just be really different than the others and allow for some really soft stuff on the slates. I think you could make some other choices in place of the cedar, but I’d go for some lighter softer wood to differentiate from the harder heavier toad (frogwood) and snakewood. The toad and snake will flat run anything. If you like a heavier, more weighted striker the bullfrog is a mite heavier than the toad (same wood). Some folks love the rosewoods and ebonys. I’ve got about everything Jeff makes and I like those as well, but the three that never leave my vest are the snakewood, frogwood (toad), and dirty hickory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 08:08:39 AM »
Jeff’s carbon tip is a heck of a striker so there’s your all-weather. As far as the other strikers, given what you’ve got I’d go with his “toad,” snakewood (more expensive but worth the price of two striker choices), dirty hickory, and maybe a cedar. The toad and snakewood will run all of those calls, and really shine on the harder surfaces. The hickory will be a great mid weight striker on the slates, and cedar is a stupidly light option that’ll just be really different than the others and allow for some really soft stuff on the slates. I think you could make some other choices in place of the cedar, but I’d go for some lighter softer wood to differentiate from the harder heavier toad (frogwood) and snakewood. The toad and snake will flat run anything. If you like a heavier, more weighted striker the bullfrog is a mite heavier than the toad (same wood). Some folks love the rosewoods and ebonys. I’ve got about everything Jeff makes and I like those as well, but the three that never leave my vest are the snakewood, frogwood (toad), and dirty hickory.

Top notch advice here. I would mention too that Clay Townsend makes 2 piece Snakewood Strikers that are awesome and pretty much play on everything. Good luck….
“Solo hunter”

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 08:23:40 AM »
Jeff's Frogwood will LIGHT up all of these calls.  My GO TO for almost every call I use! 

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 08:41:59 AM »
Since you said 4-6 I’m going to recommend 6 of the close to 40 JLH strikers I have these are what I would go with.

1. A frogwood, the color doesn’t matter but frogwood plays on just about everything. If you like a heavier striker then go with the bullfrog.

2. Tss cedar, on a slate as well as on my Shaffer ceramic this striker flat plays the soft stuff better than any other striker I own. I also have on of Jeff’s regular heavy cedars but I would have to give the nod to the tss.

3. Heavy sucupira, this striker is an absolute player on every metal and crystal call I have played it on. It is not my favorite on slate but like I said it really shines on metal atleast for me.

4. Heavy persimmon, this call plays soft as well as loud. It shines for me on slates and crystal with a good amount of rasp.

5. Snakewood, this striker plays well on just about anything. It will flat scream on a ceramic or metal. The only downside to snakewood is the cost.

6. Carbon, I have 4 of these, they are the best all weather striker I own and I pick them up when I see them in the classifieds because they are that good. I have an ebony, two cocobolo and a ironwood. I’m not sure if it matters what wood it is with these they all sound good.

These were in no particular order, just if I could only tote 6 this would probably be the 6, with the dirty locust being #7 to swap in on occasion.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 10:22:48 AM »
With lonzo pot calls, about any kind of striker will run his calls ... regardless of who's strikers you buy , for just about all pot call surfaces you can't go wrong with snakewood, rutland diamondwood, webbwood, bloodwood and either maccassar ebony or back white ebony, purpleheart ... as for a waterproof striker i like vintage Wood-Wise waterproof striker or Rick Alessandrini carbon fiber with antler tip striker ... With strikers find what works best for you with pot calls you want to carry 4 -5 strikers can usually run any good pot call....

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 01:52:41 PM »
Wow, a lot of great advice. Exactly what I need to hear.

Okay so far, y'all played me into...

-Snakewood,
-Frog..probably going to get the light & heavy
-Tss Cedar
-Carbon
-Heavy sucupira
-Heavy persimmon
-Dirty Hickory
-Purple Heart (always loved for some reason)

Dang OG. Okay might just get up to 10..or more....Does or will this ever stop? Is this how it starts?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Obviously some very good recommendations & experience.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 02:04:20 PM »
Dang OG. Okay might just get up to 10..or more....Does or will this ever stop? Is this how it starts?
[/quote]
YEP!!!  Let the OBSESSION and MONEY Venting begin!!!

Jeff is a GREAT guy and a fellow turkey hunter as well.  Give him a call.  Tell him what pots you have and he'll fit your calls with the right striker.  Great advice has been given by ALL!

Offline Tyoung

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 03:15:58 PM »
Bullfrog, Heavy Cedar, Heavy Hickory, and Carbon are the ones I end up going back to year after year. Bullfrog is a beast on just about anything!!

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 04:53:16 PM »
Lonzo normally pairs his pots with a really good striker!

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 08:50:17 PM »

Is the toad different from the bullfrog? If so I may have to place another order… always gotta find an excuse

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 09:08:30 PM »
Lonzo normally pairs his pots with a really good striker!

He did. Perfect sounding for sure. Definitely nothing wrong with the strikers sent & they pair perfectly for each one.

I just liked the looks & shape of the other strikers. Figured since I already feel down the OG rabbit hole I'd go ahead & play around with some other ones.

I'm not set in stone with JLH. I'm open to other suggestions as well. I just read some good reviews & those & they look comfortable to me. I like the head shape.

I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 09:25:33 PM »
Is the toad different from the bullfrog? If so I may have to place another order… always gotta find an excuse

The toad is also a weighted frogwood, but it is slightly lighter than the bullfrog. I have and carry both, but for some reason or another I prefer the weight of the toad better. That could absolutely boil down to style of play. Both are exceptional.

Offline Snood Life

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 10:26:23 PM »
I use to carry a lot of strikers. Now I only carry a Townsend two piece snake wood. Good luck with the addiction. :)

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 11:33:48 PM »
Much rather spend my money on other things. Tried looking up other makers but just chasing my tail again. I hate facebook. Way to hard figuring out who has what & what's in stock. Also don't feel like having to talk to 12 different people through FB just to figure things out. I thought I was done with FB years ago. Messed that all up.

Any recommendations on a good snakewood, carbon (or waterproof), & frogwood strikers I can purchase.

Recommendations on some striker makers I should check out?

I need out this rabbit hole asap so I can go fall down the longbox & tube rabbit holes. And the dang push pins. Never realized I'd even consider one till this place. Some really impressive ones. I feel I'm going to end up with my vest loaded, a satchel & dragging a duffle sack into the woods at the rate I'm going.  :TrainWreck1: