OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Coyote howler recipe  (Read 731 times)

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Coyote howler recipe
« on: January 27, 2023, 09:51:26 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion for a recipe for a diaphragm coyote howler? I was thinking a 2 reed with no cuts, maybe a tighter stretch. But if someone has suggestions I am all ears. Don’t have the desire to figure it out like I did turkey calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Coyote howler recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 10:07:54 AM »
I, too, haven't specifically tried to make a call for that purpose, but I agree with your idea that the combination you suggest would be a good place to start.  :icon_thumright:

Online Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 11:54:20 AM »
Not going to offer numbers, but I would suggest getting away from typical turkey stretches and stay away from thick latex.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 01:09:51 PM »
I'll also be unhelpful and add that I considered making some for some buddies I have that are real big into it, but I also didn't have the desire to "guess and check" with them like I did with turkey calls. Same with elk yelpers. I also live 25 minutes away from where FoxPro is located so not really worth it for me to waste materials.

To attempt and be helpful I was looking through some pictures of the ones for sale by the bigger manufacturers and it seems that a lot of them are 2 reeds with an uncut top reed. I wasn't able to find any good pictures of the call from the underside but some of the calls have a larger portion of the top reed removed and you can see that it appears to be only one reed below the top reed.

If you go to the FoxPro website and look at their selection of diaphragm calls, by clicking on one of their 3 packs, you can select the "Overview" tab and they have some of their latex combinations listed, obviously no tension numbers but at least you can get a look at what type of latex's they're stacking.

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 11:39:12 PM »
I would send a message to Shane Simpson he might not give you a recipe
But I am sure he can tell you what he does his howl on and it will give you a place to start

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 07:41:56 AM »
Oddly enough coyote howling is probably the one thing I can do on most any diaphragm I run. Can’t make turkey sounds but I can coyote howl and get dogs to come Seriously the Soul Sister I run from Gooserbat makes a heck of a coyote howl and bark. Definitely want something with rasp for the barks, and something that’ll end high on the howls. If you can kee on it you can get plenty high enough to howl. Other than that seems to just be air pressure. Lots of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 01:43:27 PM »
A lot of turkey calls will do but one made specifically for howling gives you more range/sound options. I prefer a 2 reed ( no cut) made with light latex for myself. Stretch is typically not in turkey call stretch range.
Edit to add...a lot of people will find that a small frame call will be much easier to howl on...and a tip...I build some howlers with small frames and full size tape ...these are a great setup for howling.
( Full size/regular frame call pictured.)