OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Making pot calls

Started by ScottTaulbee, January 26, 2023, 10:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I've been piddling with making pot calls for about 5 years now for myself and a few select friends and family as a hobby, maybe a half dozen to a dozen a year. I've played around with different types of finishes but never found one that gave me that "custom call" quality look. Anyway, I have finally came up with a combo of wood with a tone board I've started making myself that I'd consider sound quality wise, above your average box store caller and would really like to get my looks matching my sound to possibly start selling a few after my spring testing on the real judge. Can anyone give me some tips or products that have given the smooth, glossy, professional look for the pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Hi Scott,

There is another topic under this same thread called "Box Call Finish".  They talk about call finishes that may help you. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

misfire

I use a CA finish. Apply the CA while lathe is turning (I set my speed to 900rpm) and I start with a medium then immediately apply thin. I do this twice. Once dry, I speed the lathe up to 1900rpm, start with 400 grit sandpaper to knock off all the high ridges, then 800 grit to remove all the sanding marks from the 400, then apply and buff out EEE Polish.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

mastevt

I use PolyAcrylic water base.  3 coats.  Hand sanded between coats.  I use an air touch up gun.  Don't have to thin it, and Cleans up with water.  I've had lots of compliments on it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

squidd

Now that's a cool call setup there!!!! :drool:

mastevt

Quote from: squidd on February 25, 2023, 04:39:54 PM
Now that's a cool call setup there!!!! :drool:

Thank you.  It was a custom build for A Special Forces Army
Ranger  and his buddy.  I did 2 of them.  They were in Afghanistan together.