OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting scenario looking for solutions

Started by Brillo, January 25, 2023, 05:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

Thanks for the help guys.  You are very kind to humor me.  At least I am reassured that I am tracking the right way regarding basic approach.  It has become ingrained when I am in the woods and see sign to ask myself how I would hunt that area.  Uneven terrain really helps to hide movement but flat and open is tough.  Phone apps really help to know what is ahead but won't tell me if turkeys are currently there.  Only preseason scouting can provide information about both and an informed approach for go time.

snoman4

Quote from: Brillo on January 31, 2023, 06:22:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys.  You are very kind to humor me.  At least I am reassured that I am tracking the right way regarding basic approach.  It has become ingrained when I am in the woods and see sign to ask myself how I would hunt that area.  Uneven terrain really helps to hide movement, but flat and open is tough.  Phone apps really help to know what is ahead but won't tell me if turkeys are currently there.  Only preseason scouting can provide information about both and an informed approach for go time.

Preseason scouting in January will many times prove fruitless.  Turkeys are like deer as they change patterns as the season and/or food sources change.  Drought or flooding change their patterns.  Pressure changes their patterns.  My trick has often been to find the spring hen feeding patterns and learning the preferred strut zones for gobblers.  Learn roosting locations in times of high water and in times when it's dry. 

In your scenario, I would definitely find more edge cover and not be out in the open.  How I would call would depend on the time of day.  Early morning, I'm less aggressive than I am late morning or in the afternoons.  Dont be afraid to try locator calls that most guys dont use, like a peacock or a sandhill crane. Find where the hens want to feed or drink water and work your way towards those areas. 

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

silvestris

I don't know what I'm doing when I am messing with a turkey and life became much more enjoyable when I finally accepted that fact.  It doesn't always have to all come together eventually, it really doesn't.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game