OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call Market  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Call Market
« on: January 24, 2023, 03:46:25 PM »
I think the bottom has dropped out on pot calls and boxes ... Trumpets , Jordan's, wingbone and cane calls are the crazy right now and prices have surely increased. Some mighty fine calls are being built in these air type calls...  Turkeys are in trouble this spring ..  LOL....

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Call Market
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 04:55:21 PM »
Seems like most of the interest was in trumpets at Unicoi.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 05:08:29 PM »
Trumpets are the latest craze. I both love it and hate it at the same time. I’m glad they’re getting the respect they deserve and an increase in interest will be good long term. However, I hate the new prices and lack of availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 06:11:49 PM »
I think you can track a lot of that increase in interest to Dave Owens, especially when he released the video with Mark and Kenny last year. Just got the call a lot more attention. There’s good and bad with that. Glad more folks are getting interested in calls and hopefully the history of calls. Sucks that the lists got longer, especially on callmakers where you might have been trying to do something really specific with a collection. Sucks the prices have gone up. But the biggest part that sucks, I think, is that there are a lot of sub par yelpers coming from callmakers who haven’t taken the time to learn how to dial that call in. The market and money is there so all of a sudden everyone is a trumpet maker. All that glitters is not gold. I’ll stick with the folks been honing their calls for years same as I do with pots or boxes or anything else.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 06:22:54 PM »
I think you can track a lot of that increase in interest to Dave Owens, especially when he released the video with Mark and Kenny last year. Just got the call a lot more attention. There’s good and bad with that. Glad more folks are getting interested in calls and hopefully the history of calls. Sucks that the lists got longer, especially on callmakers where you might have been trying to do something really specific with a collection. Sucks the prices have gone up. But the biggest part that sucks, I think, is that there are a lot of sub par yelpers coming from callmakers who haven’t taken the time to learn how to dial that call in. The market and money is there so all of a sudden everyone is a trumpet maker. All that glitters is not gold. I’ll stick with the folks been honing their calls for years same as I do with pots or boxes or anything else.

I agree with you .. seeing a couple of builders along with a few others building these calls that i never seen them build air calls before ....

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 10:26:57 PM »
Greg I hate to disagree but there are a lot of calls that are still on fire, I know a lot of folks are buying trumpets but most are like me and can't make a sound with them even if they paid 4 or 500 for it. I know some makers like Shannon and Tim Bullock are blowing it open with the push/pulls and what Tim just posted with his scratch box, it will be on fire, and boxes, post a Marlin, Mann or a Lamar and Tim is making a great box, I don't think any of the great calls are in a decline! I just sold a few calls the last few days and it wasn't a trumpet. I see no decline in good callers.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 10:33:30 PM »
Suction calls DO seem to be the "in" thing at the moment.  No complaints there.  They deserve the attention.......along with the masters of building them.

But, bottom line........... The current economy has been reflected in the call-buying market.  When it comes down to a grocery order, the rent or a car payment............or a turkey call.........

You know...............   :(
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Brad_Colvin

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 10:04:36 AM »
I know the demand for suction calls really has increased, but I still rarely run across another hunter in the woods using one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 03:22:27 PM »
I know the demand for suction calls really has increased, but I still rarely run across another hunter in the woods using one.

That same scenario goes for all kinds of "custom" calls.
Any turkey hunter I talk to outside of here or at a show have no idea you can buy custom diaphragms, boxes, pots etc...they only calls they ever use come in shiny plastic packiging hanging on a hook.

Offline randywallace

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 05:12:43 PM »
There are a gazillion folks making callers now.  Some great, some good and unfortunately far more not so good.  There will always be a baseline market for quality callers of all types with ebbs and flows in the overall market created by whatever internet celebrities decide to push.  The more inexperienced the hunter, the more likely that person is to be enamoured with the latest gadget and BS from the seller.

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 05:30:46 PM »
I would also say trumpets are this year's flavor, I too picked up a few lately. :)

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 05:52:03 PM »

In my humble opinion, there are some great points made in this post…

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 05:52:58 PM »

Very true

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 09:52:23 PM »
I would also say trumpets are this year's flavor, I too picked up a few lately. :)

Everything in that picture is all turkey. I think Anthony’s making the easiest running call made, and his fit and finish has gotten flawless.

Offline 310 gauge

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 10:18:24 PM »
Yes, that's a nice band ensemble of AGE horns for sure!