OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tips and tricks  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Tips and tricks
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2023, 07:12:37 AM »
I was doing some more thinking and i just remembered what I’d consider to be the number one reason for my success over the years. Confidence. Having confidence in yourself, your calls, and your ability has helped me kill and call in a pile of birds for others. When I sit down to a turkey, in my mind, I’m eating that bird. And it seems to make me stay focused, give my best calls, and use every sense I have to get him. And if it doesn’t work in that bird, that day. Then I’ve gained a bunch of intel I’ll use on him the next day. And go find another one. I had one hang up a couple years ago about 80 yards out, National forest land, open woods on top of a ridge that made a horseshoe, with a finger ridge off it, I was in the curve of the horseshoe because I figured he’d come right around there and be at 30 yards, him being an old gobbler, came up the thick stuff and hung up on the finger ridge. I was sitting behind a tree and could see him to my hard right. After home being hung up about 10 minutes, I kept my cool, had confidence in my calls and my set up and gave him the best fighting purr I could on my pot call, he broke and came running and I got him at 30 yards when he hit that curve. There’s not a doubt in my mind if I would have had second thoughts about any of that, I’d have not gotten that bird. He was the only one on that mountain while 6 were gobbling on the next mountain over. Sticking to my guns and having confidence kept me from chasing the others and brought that bird home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The facts in this great story is evidence you know quite a few “Tips and Tricks” yourself. Well done, thanks for sharing….
“Solo hunter”

Online ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2023, 11:14:30 AM »
I was doing some more thinking and i just remembered what I’d consider to be the number one reason for my success over the years. Confidence. Having confidence in yourself, your calls, and your ability has helped me kill and call in a pile of birds for others. When I sit down to a turkey, in my mind, I’m eating that bird. And it seems to make me stay focused, give my best calls, and use every sense I have to get him. And if it doesn’t work in that bird, that day. Then I’ve gained a bunch of intel I’ll use on him the next day. And go find another one. I had one hang up a couple years ago about 80 yards out, National forest land, open woods on top of a ridge that made a horseshoe, with a finger ridge off it, I was in the curve of the horseshoe because I figured he’d come right around there and be at 30 yards, him being an old gobbler, came up the thick stuff and hung up on the finger ridge. I was sitting behind a tree and could see him to my hard right. After home being hung up about 10 minutes, I kept my cool, had confidence in my calls and my set up and gave him the best fighting purr I could on my pot call, he broke and came running and I got him at 30 yards when he hit that curve. There’s not a doubt in my mind if I would have had second thoughts about any of that, I’d have not gotten that bird. He was the only one on that mountain while 6 were gobbling on the next mountain over. Sticking to my guns and having confidence kept me from chasing the others and brought that bird home.

The facts in this great story is evidence you know quite a few “Tips and Tricks” yourself. Well done, thanks for sharing….
Thank you Tom. It’s amazing what you learn when you’re passionate about something. Since I saw my first turkey at 6 years old twenty two years ago I’ve been obsessed with beating them on their terms and learning their language and what makes them tick. I love it!.

Offline Skeeter1

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2023, 11:06:34 AM »
Scott :  This is great advice. Confidence is what has kept me going. I just started hunting turkeys 3 years ago and all three years got busted by smart Toms coming in and catching my slightest moves. This past April I changed my tactics and got my first turkey from a ground blind. I hunt by myself and have read a lot of articles about turkey hunting and am still learning from forums like this one. But the main thing is to have confidence in your self and equipment and keep a positive attitude. Keep trying and never give up and maybe your day will come like mine did this year.

I just cooked the breasts on the grill and they were great.  Still reliving that hunt and can't wait until next season.

Online ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2023, 03:30:15 PM »
Scott :  This is great advice. Confidence is what has kept me going. I just started hunting turkeys 3 years ago and all three years got busted by smart Toms coming in and catching my slightest moves. This past April I changed my tactics and got my first turkey from a ground blind. I hunt by myself and have read a lot of articles about turkey hunting and am still learning from forums like this one. But the main thing is to have confidence in your self and equipment and keep a positive attitude. Keep trying and never give up and maybe your day will come like mine did this year.

I just cooked the breasts on the grill and they were great.  Still reliving that hunt and can't wait until next season.
Absolutely!. Congratulations on your first bird!. And if you want some truly fine eating, get you some Louisiana Fish Fry in the blue bag, dump that bag in a gallon ziplock bag, chunk the breasts up in about 2” pieces, dip them in a couple beat up eggs and put chunks in that ziplock bag and shake them around in all directions, get about 2 or 3 inches of oil in a deep skillet and put it on medium high heat and drop them in there until they’re golden, typically about 7 or 8 minutes. It’ll make your tongue beat your brains out

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 03:57:45 AM »
Some great advice above!

Advice I would add I to anyone attempting to enjoy the outdoors (hunting or fishing) is to be observant...

When I see a bird coming in now, I pay attention to the sounds other wildlife around him make, and which critters seem to get agitated.

When I am walking, I am looking for any sign.

When the birds are vocal, I am listening for the tone and cadence of the hens...  What are the sounds that really set off the gobbles?  I love observing hens, and hearing the those little chirps, soft yelps, and purrs....  When do they make what sounds and why?

When things go really well, I enjoy taking in the moment, and considering what made it happen.

When things go "wrong" I rack my brain trying to figure out why.

But...  I also observe the other nature.  One of the things I enjoy about turkey hunting is all the other nature I see (and hear)...  From bluebirds, to raptors, to snakes, to bobcats...  I enjoy it all, and sometimes...  Feel like a 10 year old kid again.  I have killed a couple birds, after long-since given up on the bird I was chasing, by sitting and watching something else captivating.

Being observant...  Will improve your hunting skills, and make it more fun to be out there.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Lcmacd 58

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Shoot 'em close
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 10:00:02 AM »
I've said it several times....patience and persistence.... but as stated above .... take in what's happening around you .... it's called woodsmanship... enjoy your surroundings

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2023, 05:59:08 PM »
If you need to take pain killer's, medication or maybe hard candy to keep your mouth moist so you can play you trumpet but you are worried about the noise from the pills rattling around in the bottle or untwisting a celaphane wrapper then put them in one of the cinch sacks one of your calls came in. There is no noise and they are easy  to handle even if wearing gloves.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline 7600

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2023, 07:52:11 PM »
I missed a real hog gobbler a couple of weeks ago. I was hunting with a younger friend who was doing all of the calling. He is a good caller, but called too much for me. I'm of the school of software and intermittent calling. Being still, knowing your gun, and woodsmanship work for me. I'll soon be 63, and I keep learning about turkeys. I love it

Offline Tnandy

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2023, 12:19:11 PM »
I find late season to be a challenge due to, well, everything, lol. But, one trick that has helped me with a few mature, late season wise and leery ol birds is this. I like to make a few hen yelps, like a bird searching for company. After that, i will hit a crow call, just to add some realism to my setup. While hitting my crow call, i will have my gobble tube in hand, and give a good shock gobble or two at the ol crow that is aggravating this hen and tom. It has worked enough that i won't hesitate to use this ploy in late season after around 7 in the morning and later. I have had several older birds come creeping in silent within an hour or less. Better not be fooling with your phone, you will get burnt, lol. I dont go crazy with this, maybe once an hour or longer, but it has paid some great dividends to say the least.

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 06:12:35 AM »
I’ll add my two cents for what it’s worth.
Patience and Persistence has killed many a bird.
     •   Listen more and call less.
     •   Soft “Come hither” calling is more advantages.
     •   Scratch some leaves, sound like a turkey feeding.
     •   Listen, but keep a keen eye for any movement.
     •   When you are about ready to give up and call it quits for the day give it another 45 minutes or so.
Get comfortable and relax.
     •   Buy a lounger, good chair or a good seat cushion.
     •   The more comfortable you are the less fidgeting you are going to do.
This will make your hunt more enjoyable, and you will stay in the woods longer.
Know what you and your equipment can do!
     •   Pattern your shotgun.
     •   Know your limits and that of your weapon and ammo you are using.
     •   In the off season practice your calling.
Enjoy your time in the woods, don’t make it stressful as each hunt is memorable in it’s own right.
Turkey hunting is a chess game. You move, he counters. He makes a move, you counter.
Each of you are making calculated moves with full awareness of the likely outcome of those decisions.
     •   Maybe he finds a mate.
     •   Maybe you kill a bird.
Relax and enjoy the game!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2023, 08:40:42 AM »
     •   When you are about ready to give up and call it quits for the day give it another 45 minutes or so.
Enjoy your time in the woods, don’t make it stressful as each hunt is memorable in it’s own right.
Turkey hunting is a chess game. You move, he counters. He makes a move, you counter.
Each of you are making calculated moves with full awareness of the likely outcome of those decisions.

Well said, great advice!
“Solo hunter”

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2023, 09:36:56 AM »
I agree. great advice from some awesome people... Enjoy yourself and respect the animals your chasing ... It's not always KILL KILL KILL ...

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2023, 08:20:04 AM »
Great post all!

I agree. great advice from some awesome people... Enjoy yourself and respect the animals your chasing ... It's not always KILL KILL KILL ...

Well said, great advice!

Enjoy the game and hunt safe.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Lcmacd 58

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Shoot 'em close
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2023, 07:09:42 PM »
Yes ...  always enjoy the prep....the scouting and the game
But always remember to be 100% safe

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2023, 07:52:18 PM »
All good advice. I’ve always been persistent but when I slowed down and started exercising some patience things really came together. Really looking and listening to what’s going on around me and moving slowly and deliberately through the woods allows all of your senses to take in what’s going on around you. Move like a coyote or bobcat. Stay in the shadows and observe what’s happening around you. You’re hunting another living thing so act like that. With respect to shooting, know your gun and pattern it. If your gut tells you to take the shot take it. If have second thoughts let him walk. He may offer a better shot or you’ll get up with him another day. It’s just not worth the disappointment and worry that comes with wounding a bird. Last is just have fun