OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

True Or False?

Started by guesswho, June 21, 2011, 09:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey hunting video's and tv shows have had a negative impact on turkey hunting

True
False

dirt road ninja

I'll watch'em if I see one on. Don't think they are hurting anything.

Houndstooth Game Calls

I enjoyed the early primos vhs tapes they had alot of what I would call hometown hunts I could relate to southern type atmosphere that I am custom to. But now you see very little on dvd or television of people hunting those same conditions in the south the TV hunts are always out west or north west and I dont have a problem with that but I realy cant relate to that here in bama on turkey hunts. Now if I was from the west it might be different but it seems thats where most of the hunts are being held. Yes I would go to the west or north west on a hunt to get some extra turkey hunting in a heart beat. When I went to texas it was like shooting fish in a barrel and my closest friend hes been all over and hes never come back empty handed. So I guess growing up hunting here in bama and MS. and hunting from middle of march to the end of april working to kill a limit of 5 all year and then going to texas and 4 people kill 8 in 2 days the last week of season after they have been chased or even more, it just aint the same for me but I love turkey hunting and will not miss a chance on going anywhere for I am a turkey hunter thats what I do! For as the sponsors on the tv shows well price a spot on the outdoor channel blow your mind what it cost a quarter so I can understand how they have to do it and they could do some things to the shows to make them not so chopped up with ads and sponsors to make better tv. All in all its just a tv show not reality for most.--lyle

stinkpickle

Specific gripes:  The biggest thing that ticked me off about the latest Primos DVD was that all the footage made it on the TV show.  There used to be extra hunts and funny/interesting stuff on the DVD.  BUT now, there's more stuff on the TV show.  I think I'll just DVR the whole TV series instead of messing with the DVD's from now on.

Silver lining:  One show actually impressed me this year.  Blood Brothers TV.  It's still new, and I hope it sticks to its current formula.

savduck

You know.......one thing will never change. Companies are in business to make money.....especially publically traded companies, big corporations. A bunch of these mom and pop companies have all sold out to corporations, but they still are involved as the "face" of the companies. Lohman, MAD, K&H, Primos, etc. The corporations can say all they want about educating new hunters, but goal number one is to make as much profit as they can for stock holders. They could give two craps if they ruin the sport. They are trying to maximize their exposure so they have more customers to sell their products to. Its very clear by the crap calls and the poor excuse for turkey videos that are being put out these days.  Sad to say, but most of our "hunting heros" have sold their soul for the dough.

I started hunting in the early 80s. There were very few turkey hunters back then. It was like a frat, you had to earn their trust before they would teach you anything about turkeys. Im the same way. I'll take someone thats new to turkey hunting on their property if they ask me to, but I dont take anyone but my own family to my spots. And if I call one in for a newbie and they shoot.....the lesson is over. I dont call for them again. Sorry, Im just a butt head I guess.

This is the kinda fella running around the woods these days and offering advice to newbies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeFIkS_WOco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A65zLtZapM&feature=channel
Georgia Boy

guesswho

I here a bunch of his students every year, at least they sound like they've been to his school of turkey calling/locating.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

savduck

No Joke. About 7 years ago, the main river flooded near a very good public land spot that I frequent. Of almost 20 thousand acres only about 4K were huntable. The birds were stacked up. I had 9 in one spot gobbling. I was getting there 2 hours before light. Birds would gobble a couple of times early, then you would hear the gravel road parade begin. The birds would hush. It would  get quiet and the birds would crank up. Another car would come....they would all stop at the same place, all slam their doors and hoot or crow 10 seconds after slamming a door....I heard one guy do "who cooks for you" on a crow call. Probably heard 25 hunters in three weekends in that same area, none of them must have heard the birds I heard, because everyone of them would drive off, and then the birds would crank back up. I didnt hear but three shots all three of those weekends...and they were all mine as I tagged out for the season.

Its getting to be a joke these days.
Georgia Boy

guesswho

In the late 60's and early 70's as a kid I remember everyone that turkey hunted which wasn't many, hunted slow and quiet on foot.  And if you asked them about turkeys most of them didn't know anything, didn't even know how those turkey feathers got in their vehichle.  I don't see much of that anymore.  And you don't even have to ask for advice anymore, just go to youtube, it's full of experts of all ages. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Shotgun

Hunting in general has changed quite a bit over the years.  15+ years ago there was not near the turkey hunters or duck hunters as there is today.  At least if there was I never ran into them until the GPS got popular.  Once the GPS and decoys got popular not to mention the videos being massed produced I started seeing a difference in my hunting.  Like any other hunter I adapted and moved to greener pastures.  The problem I'm running into now is that the greener pastures are getting few and far between without money and I have less time to chase them.

drenalinld

I still know plenty of "old school" guys that know nothing.
"Did you hear any this morning"?
"No, I haven't heard one in weeks"!
Walk around to see dead gobbler in their truck bed.
"What's this"?
"He just happened to walk by, never said a word".

I cringe every time I hear hunters bragging about how many they heard.

loner

they can be entertaining and sometimes educational for those getting into the sport with little experience.some of the videos out west make it look so easy they can be fooled by an Eastern or Osceola.
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

RutnNStrutn

I agree with some of the other guys. The current shows are more about selling products than they are hunting. I hate seeing the sport of hunting being commercialized. Also, due to the popularity hunting has taken on, partly due to these shows, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find affordable land to lease to hunt on. So I guess these shows have their pros & cons.