turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rounded striker vs. straight

Started by Brillo, January 23, 2023, 06:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Old picture from another article a while back. I think what many call a flarred to should not really be called such as they are different that a true flared tip, there is not a single flared tip in this first picture, there is ever kind but a flared tip. In the second picture I will show what I consider a flared tip. The second picture is one of Neal's strikers and one I love as it helped me take my first and to date only turkey, notice how it simply flares back as opposed to some of the others in the first picture that also roll back, this is why I differentiate between a flared striker and a mushroom tip. They bit differently. First picture also shows straight and rounded strikers. Edit: Second picture did not show up well, I will try to add a better one tomorrow, my apologies.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Meleagris gallopavo

I recently practiced with some of the round tip strikers (laminate dowels in a handle) just for kicks.  They actually work quite well.  The degree of the flared surface differs among striker makers.  The "roundness" of the contact surface of the striker changes, at least to me, the way you run it on a surface.  The straight-tipped ones Neal Herrman makes for Hooks have worked well for me as well as those he makes with flared tips.  You don't use them the same way when running them on a pot.  Straight tipped strikers the striker runs almost perpendicular to the call surface while a flared tip can be run at angles of varying degrees and still perform. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Poppahunts

Quote from: bbcoach on January 24, 2023, 07:30:37 PM
Jeff Harrison (JLH) is one of the go to guys for strikers here on OG.  Phone number on his facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/people/JLH-Strikers/100057173211333/

Give him a call and talk to him about this subject.  He should be able to help you.  Great Guy and he makes some GREAT strikers.

Truth for sure!
Stand up guy , with loads of knowledge ...
Turkeys For Tomorrow Member
Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
Life is hard, twice as hard if your stupid
               - John Wayne

tha bugman