OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rounded striker vs. straight

Started by Brillo, January 23, 2023, 06:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

Given the same material, what difference would you expect for sound?

ChesterCopperpot

I think it's all personal preference but for me rounded is easier to play. I really prefer flared tip strikers. They seem to be much more forgiving with regard to angle. The ONLY instance I can think where I don't want a flared tip striker is on one of those old Ben Lee Super Hen troughs and that's just because the playing surface is so narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

310 gauge

I agree and prefer rounded & flare tipped. In MY hands feel, fit, and comfort give me the "sound" I'm after and therefore helps my confidence level. This is true of course if the Striker is of the normal or thicker size and not the skinny versions some prefer. Hey! round, flat, skinny or thick, try a bunch and see want works best in your hands because that's where I think you'll find the difference and not in the wood type.   

greentrout

Lyman flare tipped are my favorite strikers. However, I am also a big fan of Neal's straight tip and Brad Roberts's straight tip strikers.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Sir-diealot

I really think there's three different type styles that are major, you have the common straight tip, the flarred tip and a mushroom tip. Of the 3 I find the mushroom tip the easiest to play followed by the flarred tip and then the straight tip. The other I see is a rounded tip. I think this rounded tip is easier than the straight tip.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

All i can add is it depends on WHO built the striker in what kind i play... I think a flare tip is more forgiving for covering up mistakes etc...

dah

I  feel I get more grip on the call surface from a rounded . Can be helpful on damp days or early morning .

outdoors

To me it just depends on the service for the most part
Then there's what I think they want to hear
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

bbcoach

My 2 cents.  IMO a straight tipped striker doesn't have the surface area that a round or flared tipped striker does.  With that being said, I believe the straight tipped isn't as forgiving when playing it and doesn't have the resonance that you can get from the other two.  I've run all 3 and my preference is flared tip first, round 2nd and straight tip a distant third.  I always felt like I was shaving off the top of slate call or digging a hole in it with a straight tip, held at the angle required to get the pot to really talk.  As others have said, take them to the woods and let the birds decide.   :z-twocents: 

Brillo

The answers are a surprise to me.  I expected to hear that straight is better because ...
So since the consensus is that round/flared is easier/more forgiving why are there not more of them?
Why don't pot call makers almost insist on them?  Would you not want a striker to go with your pot that will produce the best sound in all but expert hands? 
I think I will make sure that my next strikers are flared.

bbcoach

Jeff Harrison (JLH) is one of the go to guys for strikers here on OG.  Phone number on his facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/people/JLH-Strikers/100057173211333/

Give him a call and talk to him about this subject.  He should be able to help you.  Great Guy and he makes some GREAT strikers.

RH1

The only straight cut tip striker I'll use is a graphite or carbon. 99% on metal and below soft calling volume.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Brillo on January 24, 2023, 06:18:25 PM
The answers are a surprise to me.  I expected to hear that straight is better because ...
So since the consensus is that round/flared is easier/more forgiving why are there not more of them?
Why don't pot call makers almost insist on them?  Would you not want a striker to go with your pot that will produce the best sound in all but expert hands? 
I think I will make sure that my next strikers are flared.
I think most strikers you buy from folks exclusively making strikers (Jeff Harrison, Stuckey, etc) are flared nowadays. If pot call makers are turning their own, most seem to be flared tip as well. However the two-piece strikers you're getting with pots are just bought dowels glued into handles for the most part and those are just however the dowels came: flat or round. If I've got one two piece dymondwood round tip I've got a hundred. They all look alike. All play fine. Just not what a really good tuned and matched striker will do on the same call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Augusta

Rounded.  I'm not fond of flared tip strikers.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

shatcher

A little off subject, but has anyone had any issues with TSA and strikers in your carry on satchel?  Flare tip may be the way to go.  Thanks!