OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20 Gauge TSS  (Read 1032 times)

Offline ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
20 Gauge TSS
« on: January 23, 2023, 02:17:35 PM »
I’ve never considered using TSS before and I’ve always been plenty happy with my 835 and longbeard XR 3.5” but I started taking a 20 gauge squirrel hunting during early fall and then used it for waterfowl and I love the thing. I think I’m going to use it for turkey this spring, my question is, where TSS is so hard, do you really need a “turkey” choke?. I’m thinking my factory full will be more than sufficient and not over choke it. Any experience or advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Glades

Re: 20 Gauge TSS
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 02:47:50 PM »
I would recommend you to get a box of TSS and try shooting one shell through your full choke, and see how it does. Some guns will shoot very tight patterns through a full (595/590). If you feel you need more constriction, you can always go tighter.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 10:30:38 PM »
You might get a nice even hunting pattern at 40yds with your factory full, it's worth 1 shell to find out.
TSS is not as finicky as lead, if you decide to go with a tighter constriction TSS patterns good with Carlson and Trulock chokes.

I hunt an older 20ga with a fixed xfull .585, it patterns tss 8's or 9's well beyond 40yds

Offline Cmane08

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 09:40:10 AM »
Like the others said, I would try one shell out of the factory full.  If it's not satisfactory, you don't need to spend a lot of cash on another choke.  I shoot a .575 carlson's in mine that cost about 30 bucks.

Offline RMP

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 07:34:02 PM »
The bird I killed last Sunday at 40 yards was killed with my 20 gauge Winchester SX4, the Invector Plus full choke tube that came with the gun, and Federal TSS #7.

IMO, your standard full choke tube ought to be the first choke you test, and serve as your control as you test other chokes.  You may find you don't need a different choke tube.

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 10:03:02 AM »
In agreement for the most part. I think I would shoot a couple cheaper shells first to make sure POA (point of aim) is on target before putting one of those $1000 shells through it. I did the exact same thing a couple years ago when using a new 20g and choke. I used some old high brass I had for 3 shots to make sure aim was right on at 30 yrds. Then threw 1 TSS with new choke and ended up with a really good pattern. I did have to adjust POA with those 3 shots. So without those 3 shells first I would have wasted 4 expensive shells. Good luck