OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wood for box calls.  (Read 943 times)

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
Wood for box calls.
« on: January 22, 2023, 07:12:45 PM »
Do you have any recommendations for what to look for both online and in person when wood selecting?
Are turning blanks good options, if the grain looks tight enough?
Just getting started in call making.
Thank you!
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Wood for box calls.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 03:08:24 PM »
Straight, tight grain. Knot-free.  Turning blanks can work fine but the disadvantage is obviously not being able to select pieces you want to work with if purchasing online.  If you can find a good lumber store near you maybe start with poplar.  It's usually available at most good stores and is relatively inexpensive if you are getting started. 

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 11:36:21 PM »
Thank you! Appreciate the reply. I did check out one store and hopefully I’ll be able to hit some more soon.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 04:27:15 PM »
Pretty hard to beat 8/4 Butternut as well, but as Packmule says, it's hard to know what you are really getting without actually touching and seeing it.  A lot of folks do all their buying on line though,  Try FB Market Place, Craigslist and check around within say 100 miles of where you live, you might find some good local shops and mills

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 09:10:59 PM »
I know of a certain wma in  Northern Missouri where they cut down a bunch cedar trees about a year ago and left them lay. The ones I seen were about 20 ft long.   If it's not burned up by the time I get back there  this spring some of the bigger stuff I run across will be coming home with me. Pm me if your interested and I'll let you know which one.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.