OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What are your top 5 turkey hunting essentials?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
Re: What are your top 5 turkey hunting essentials?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 09:21:01 PM »
Phone
Hand pruners/ knife
Piece of camo netting
Thumbtacks/ Rubber bands
Binos
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 09:25:32 PM »
Water
Something to safely clean my glasses/scope
Thermacell though I have never needed one since I started to use Permethrin I still have one in each blind. I use them more for fishing to be honest.
Scale & measuring Tape
Pain killer of some kind.
Small solar chargeable battery that I can set up to keep battery charged for phone in case of emergency.

Your camera?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 09:30:46 PM »
Water
Something to safely clean my glasses/scope
Thermacell though I have never needed one since I started to use Permethrin I still have one in each blind. I use them more for fishing to be honest.
Scale & measuring Tape
Pain killer of some kind.
Small solar chargeable battery that I can set up to keep battery charged for phone in case of emergency.

Your camera?
Oh yes, always the camera now, but it was asking strictly the hunting items so I left that out.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 06:13:59 AM »
Beside my gun' ammo and calls I carry the following in a Glenda satchel

License
Pocket Knife
Clippers
Snack
TP
Cell Phone
Glenda Seat
Turkey Tote

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 10:12:52 AM »
Alright Happy.  Why the pocket knife AND multi tool?  That seems to be overlap.  And why a multitool at all?
The multi
 Tool is fairly small. It fits in a leather pouch with a lighter in the back of my belt. I always carry some sort of pocket knife out of habit every day. The multi tool is just in case I need to work on something on my  gun, pull a splinter, cut a small branch ect.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2023, 12:34:34 PM »
For me, other than calls and a couple shells, I carry a fire starter, a leather turkey strap, a sandwich bag of baby wipes, and a press style water purification bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fmf

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2023, 12:52:19 PM »
bug spray
tp
clippers
phone
binos if I'm hunting any fields, cutovers, etc

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2023, 07:51:42 PM »
Alright Happy.  Why the pocket knife AND multi tool?  That seems to be overlap.  And why a multitool at all?
The multi
 Tool is fairly small. It fits in a leather pouch with a lighter in the back of my belt. I always carry some sort of pocket knife out of habit every day. The multi tool is just in case I need to work on something on my  gun, pull a splinter, cut a small branch ect.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

A multi tool is always a good idea, luckily I had one with me on a recent fishing trip, my buddy got a treble hook through the hand, we had to cut the hooks with the wire cutters to remove it. Good thing to have for sure, you never know, you know?

Online mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2023, 09:13:04 PM »
1. Vest with comfy seat
2. Smartphone w/ mapping software highlighting public/private boundaries
3. Pruners
4. Wet wipes
5. Gaiters

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
What are your top 5 turkey hunting essentials?
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2023, 07:19:42 PM »
The obvious items that don’t count
Gun, Vest, face-mask, a few calls

The extra items if importance
-Toilet Paper
-Water/snacks
-OnX
-Binos
-Bug Spray, I don’t think I’ve ever actually used it turkey hunting but one time scouting for deer I looked down at my itchy hand and must have had fifty seed ticks crawling around it. Luckily I had some bug spray and gave them a direct blast. So I carry some turkey hunting now.

Sometimes I’ll throw a turkey hunting book in my vest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:38:49 AM by aclawrence »

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 10:19:23 AM »
You fellows with the exception of Lawrence are going to starve to death. Number one essential with the water is some food. Usually an orange or two, a peanut butter or a ham and cheese sandwich and some small snacks like raisins, granola bars or something. Yes, that stuff weighs some, but it will all be eaten so the pack is getting lighter all day long and the weight is gone on the way home. I can hunt the mtns. from daylight to dark with food and water, but will play out by around lunch or early afternoon without it.

The guys nailed the rest so I wont be redundant - but do not go without baby wipes, they are good for a lot of things (do not leave them in the woods though).

It was only mentioned once in this thread, but Permethrin sprayed on your clothes and left outside to dry before wearing them is critical and way beyond an essential. And don't go light, soak the clothes, and once allowed to dry before wearing, the treatment will last longer than you think. Ticks are no joke.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 07:25:48 PM »
You fellows with the exception of Lawrence are going to starve to death. Number one essential with the water is some food. Usually an orange or two, a peanut butter or a ham and cheese sandwich and some small snacks like raisins, granola bars or something. Yes, that stuff weighs some, but it will all be eaten so the pack is getting lighter all day long and the weight is gone on the way home. I can hunt the mtns. from daylight to dark with food and water, but will play out by around lunch or early afternoon without it.

The guys nailed the rest so I wont be redundant - but do not go without baby wipes, they are good for a lot of things (do not leave them in the woods though).

It was only mentioned once in this thread, but Permethrin sprayed on your clothes and left outside to dry before wearing them is critical and way beyond an essential. And don't go light, soak the clothes, and once allowed to dry before wearing, the treatment will last longer than you think. Ticks are no joke.
Here hunting is sunup until noon, I eat on my way there and then eat at the truck at the end of the day. I do not take food into the blind because I do not want coon or skunk in the blind. I do keep a gallon jug of purified water in each blind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2023, 08:07:36 PM »
I carry both as well. The multi tool is in case if gun repair. The knife on the multi tool doesn’t compare to my pocket knife

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline falconiii

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2023, 12:34:54 AM »
Great post topic

1. Google maps
2. Water bladder
3. Thermacell
4. Mosquito headnet
5. TP & Babywipes

And a turkey tote when I’m feeling it. 

Offline RH1

• Red Hills Turkey Calls
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2023, 08:14:00 PM »
Getn old...I need a comfortable chair thats lite ;)
Red Hills Turkey Calls