turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mid day hunting tips

Started by ClayR089, April 04, 2023, 10:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClayR089

I've always hunted first thing in the morning, but this year I've gotten a crazier schedule so fitting it in where I can. This means some midday hunts. I've always heard people say they kill most of their birds between 10 and 2. So how do you adjust to a midday hunt, if you are? Are you using locator calls to try and shock gobble or are you deer hunting them off of prior knowledge and scouting? I feel walking in and lighting up the woods with a Yelp can work at times but also know most of the woods I hunt are heavily pressured in morning and so they're most likely already heard every call earlier in day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

There is really no "one size fits all" answer to your question.  I would start out with the suggestion to hunt the way you like to hunt first,...and then adapt to the conditions if that doesn't work.  Some hunters like a strategy of identifying places where turkeys like to hang out (patterning, woodsmanship), set up, and wait,...and some like to proactively seek a responsive gobbler by covering ground, calling, and trying to get a conversation going with a willing bird. 

Admittedly, I fit into the second category, but that doesn't always work out.  When I am convinced that it is not going to, then I switch to the other.  Conversely, there are lots of hunters that start out with the first strategy and stick with it.  There are, without question, places where one of those strategies is better than the other. 

In addition, the other consideration is how your chosen approach to hunting the area impacts other hunters that might be sharing the woods with you.  It is sometimes difficult (and unwise) to use a "run and gun" strategy in an area with a high concentration of hunters,...and you most likely won't make many friends doing that.   ;D

In summary, consider all the factors involved and then apply a hunting strategy that fits the conditions,...that is, once you have the "conditions" sorted out.   :icon_thumright:

Greg Massey

No right or wrong way to hunt during this time of day, regardless your trying to strike a bird. Moving and setting up in different spots birds like to hang out during the day. I will use a crow call sparingly as i'm moving around looking for a gobbler, i will use a box call or pot more in trying to strike a bird ... My way of thinking is just hunt the way you like and enjoy your time outdoors... Never forget the binoculars are one of my tips ....

ClayR089

Thank y'all for the responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blake_08

I hunt (easterns) midday just like I do in the morning time. I've called gobblers in as late as 5 p.m. Usually if you can strike one in the afternoon, your chances are pretty good to kill him. Good luck.

hawgsalot

Two ways to go and both have been mentioned.  If you can cover ground, stop yelp super loud with a pot call, and cut loud and hard a few times.  If one doesn't gobble move on.  If one does, your about to kill a turkey.  Key is covering ground, I've had gobblers beat me out of the truck lol. 

I really like going to spots of known or likely spots and setting up with decoys and sounding like a flock of hens, use all your calls available!  I've killed a ton of tough hard hunted birds that way from 2-4.

guesswho

Same tactic for me as early morning.  Hunt like you're being hunted.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mountainhunter1

Quote from: blake_08 on April 04, 2023, 05:06:04 PM
I hunt (easterns) midday just like I do in the morning time. I've called gobblers in as late as 5 p.m. Usually if you can strike one in the afternoon, your chances are pretty good to kill him. Good luck.

Good advice there from Blake, and be wise in where you sit down, because if you are set up right, a bird that gobbles after noon is generally coming to you (and usually in a hurry) and you won't have to give him much more than that initial calling sequence. Choosing to sit down in the wrong place is about all that can derail that kind of hunt.

The point, ask yourself, "Can I kill him right here where I am calling?" If not, get to where you can before calling because you may not have time to find a good spot once he knows you are there. There is a reason they call those after lunch encounters flash hunts.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Marc

Morning, I am more likely to get close to roosted birds.  Hunting those roosts, and watching where they go.  Listen to the hens, and try to rile one up to come and fight, and hopefully pull in a tom.

Late morning, I am ready to cover some ground if I am on a good property, or set up in a (hopefully) high-traffic area and sit tight on a smaller property.

I cover ground and call periodically...  Making sure to utilize terrain that I am less likely to be spotted moving around.  I avoid ridges were I can be sky-lined, and only call in areas with poor long-range visibility (due to cover or obstructions).

If you get a response in that late morning/afternoon, you have a good chance at him.  If you can get him really gobbling, you have a real good chance at him.

You hear spontaneous gobbling mid-morning, the hens have probably left those toms hanging...  I will get as close as I can without calling...  Try to get above them, and then start calling.

Expect a lot less (gobbling) activity.  But a far higher success rate on those that do gobble...  Birds are likely to come in quiet.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Marc on April 05, 2023, 04:32:22 PM
Morning, I am more likely to get close to roosted birds.  Hunting those roosts, and watching where they go.  Listen to the hens, and try to rile one up to come and fight, and hopefully pull in a tom.

Late morning, I am ready to cover some ground if I am on a good property, or set up in a (hopefully) high-traffic area and sit tight on a smaller property.

I cover ground and call periodically...  Making sure to utilize terrain that I am less likely to be spotted moving around.  I avoid ridges were I can be sky-lined, and only call in areas with poor long-range visibility (due to cover or obstructions).

If you get a response in that late morning/afternoon, you have a good chance at him.  If you can get him really gobbling, you have a real good chance at him.

You hear spontaneous gobbling mid-morning, the hens have probably left those toms hanging...  I will get as close as I can without calling...  Try to get above them, and then start calling.

Expect a lot less (gobbling) activity.  But a far higher success rate on those that do gobble...  Birds are likely to come in quiet.

Well said, you are spot on.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Tnandy

Over the years, my best hunts are starting to be late morning on through to 3,4 pm hunts. I am in TN, so its eastern birds here. The higher the sun gets as the weather continues to warm up, they gravitate towards the hollows, or at least shade. I couldnt tell you how many that i have bumped sitting in the shade along a field edge! Stay out of the open space for sure. I hope that i have learned my lesson lol. The one piece of advice i seen on another comment was spot on, if they gobble to you at midday, he is wanting to die. Better not call until you are satisfied with a good spot to set up. Thats a must. Good luck and dont give up, you will find the midday hunting better than one might think.