OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Windy youth day set up plan

Started by Gobblechicken4, March 30, 2023, 12:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblechicken4

Youth season comes in here saturday. Calling 20-40MPH winds after an overnight rain. Will be hunting in a blind with my 10yr old and I have the option to set up in a creek bottom field, or a ridge top field.

Do eastern's have a tendency to go to the low ground on a morning like this? Or not really a factor?

Thanks in advance

silvestris

They would prefer to be in the bottoms out of the wind as much as possible.  Creek bottom for me under those conditions.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

Creek bottom, it has more food and greens up faster ...

guesswho

Creek bottom.   If the wind dies and the sun breaks through I'd hit the ridge top. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

One would think it would be intuitive that turkeys would seek shelter from inclement weather, but it has surprised me how often turkeys will get right out in an open field in rainy weather.  I wouldn't rule out setting up on the field if it is raining. 

Zobo

If windy I'd set up in whichever location is most open and free of growth, scrub brush, trees etc. Areas where they can see better to avoid ambush predators. They won't be able to hear as well with the wind blowing so will rely more heavily on their sense of sight, so open, clear areas are may be safer for them under those conditions.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14