OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What are your top 5 turkey hunting essentials?

Started by Brillo, January 22, 2023, 05:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

Not including your gun and calls what do you want/need to have with you?  I am not trying to think what more to bring but how little.  Less than 5 is OK too.  One of my essentials would be water.

Paulmyr

Besides water, it would be TP/baby wipes, brush clippers, map or software or both, and a compass for back up if I'm going way back deep in the woods.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

eggshell

I am assuming camo clothing and shells are also not included in this list. The only other essential I have is my vest and toilet paper. I am a minimalist when it comes to turkey hunting. My entire list is :

Gun
Shells
two mouth calls
one slate call
Vest
TP

That's it and what you will find on me on 95% of my hunts, not including camo

Tom007

Good thread: not including gun and 3 shells

1) Kleenex pack
2) Lens wipes
3) 2 push-pins
4) 1 pot call with 2 strikers
5) mouth diaphragms

Honorable mention:

Trumpet
Turkey tote
Wing
Windy day boat paddle
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Paulmyr on January 22, 2023, 06:29:00 AM
Besides water, it would be TP/baby wipes, brush clippers, map or software or both, and a compass for back up if I'm going way back deep in the woods.
Me and you'd hunt fine together, Paul I wouldn't change a thing.

1) clippers
2) pocket pack of Kleenex for TP
3) water
4) map

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Every time I leave the house, camp, or the truck, I ask myself and anybody else that might be with me,..."Do I/you have your gun, license, shells, and calls?"  I have said that so often that now the guys I hunt with will most of the time ask the question for me before I have the chance.   ;D :D

...Only four things, but those are the four that, regardless of whether I forget anything else, I must have with me when I start out. Early in my turkey hunting life,...and before I started reciting that question,...I can't tell you how many times either myself or someone I was hunting with ended up without one of those four things, creating an occasional very awkward situation.   ;D :toothy12:

Happy

Baby wipes, food, water, pocketknife, lighter, small multi-tool, small first aid kit. Other than calls and shells I am set.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Notsoyoungturk

Agree with above.  Would add Thermocell to that list.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

wchadw

Water TP shears snake bite kit thermacell. Gotta have thermacell in the south

Terry

Water, license, compass, TP, and Thermacell.

Out to that list, water would be the first to go if I needed to drop it down to 4.

Brillo

Alright Happy.  Why the pocket knife AND multi tool?  That seems to be overlap.  And why a multitool at all?

TauntoHawk

ThermaCELL late season
Phone with onX for maps
Waterbladder

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yoder409

Wet wipes
Binos
Knife
Shooting/walking stick
Stool (to sit on....not for the wet wipes)   ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Water
Something to safely clean my glasses/scope
Thermacell though I have never needed one since I started to use Permethrin I still have one in each blind. I use them more for fishing to be honest.
Scale & measuring Tape
Pain killer of some kind.
Small solar chargeable battery that I can set up to keep battery charged for phone in case of emergency.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

trad bow

1. A well broke in comfortable pair of boots
2. Thermacell
3. A comfortable seat
4. Water
5. A good dose of patience