OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NON TSS ammo options  (Read 2317 times)

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: NON TSS ammo options
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2023, 10:16:29 AM »
Remember when we went to the NWTF in Nashville and there was long lines to get Heavy-shot. Then a couple years later the lines were for Long Beards. I'm sure in a couple weeks the lines will be for TSS. There's plenty of reasonable lead priced shells out there. Whatever you go with, I would just get enough to pattern my gun. No substitute for a good patterned gun! Good luck. I will stick with the LB for my 12g but went with the TSS for my 20g.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2023, 03:18:01 PM »
I would probably start with Longbeard XRs, not just because they work well, but because they're about the least likely to get discontinued.

Offline longbow2240

NON TSS ammo options
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2023, 04:36:03 PM »
Longbeard XRs or if you can find them, I hunted Remington Premiers #5’s for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 11:28:34 PM by longbow2240 »

Online Jordan121787

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 06:58:58 PM »
I tested out some 20 ga federal grand slam #5s and was very impressed with the 30 yard and under pattern for it being #5s. They patterned better than the nitro and XX #5s. Larger payload too.

Offline randywallace

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 12:03:55 PM »
Scheels has some Win XX 5s in a 10 count for $17.  Hevishot mag blend 5-6-7 in 5 count for $30.

Win longbeards will run you about $30 for a 10 count.

Federal grand slam in copper plated 5 shot is about $22 a 10 count.

There are lots of options out there, but I prefer TSS to get the performance of a 3.5 12 gauge out of the 20.

I shoot a few magnum lead rounds to get on paper where I want.  Then, switch to TSS for final 2 or 3 shots to dial it in so I don't shoot tons of TSS sighting in. 

Offline husker

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 03:43:55 PM »
Winchester Longbeards have never let me down.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2023, 11:01:41 PM »
The ammo companies are a BUSINESS and as some of you have noticed..they are fixated on the high profit margin items like pure tungsten loads ...the moderate and affordable as ammo is scarce

I'm observant of industry trends , and trust me on this the good old lead , you might want to stock up on that ..cause in the future it could be a thing of the past ..

I would recommend on stocking up in any turkey ammo for that matter

I'm observant on a lot of things and I would like you all to know we  take the high road on shooting distances and not promote loooong shots ..it portrays a bad image of the site and ALWAYS results in a dispute ..thank you in advance

Back to what the ammo companies are up to ..if they have limited manpower and materials they are going to focus on the high profit items..every single time ...be mindful that turkey ammo production runs are notoriously short , they come up with a new product...roll out a advertising and marketing...run it ...if it does well they keep going , until the competition bites into their market share ..then they go back and forth ..

If you find a magic shell ...hoard up the stuff

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline InmemoryofLMC

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 11:34:01 AM »
Winchester long beard shoot really good. They run around $25 a box of 10
2 SAMUEL 22:3-4 The God of my rock; in him will I trust

Offline Stevie Ray

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2023, 12:58:56 PM »
I've always shot Longbeards and I've always shot 12 gauge up until this year where I'll be giving a 20 gauge a try for the first time, I'll continue to use the Longbeards in the 12 but I did go with TSS for the 20 ... the Longbeard XRs have always worked very well for me.

Offline CGhost

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2023, 04:29:57 PM »
I get excellent patterns at 35yards with Longbeards in a 20g. Sumtoy .562 with 5s and 6s do awesome.
I'd even feel confident at 40.
Federal Grandslams can be picky with what chokes you shoot, but I have had great patterns with it to.
Longbeard is the best lead load on the shelf. If you can find 6s snatch those up, they throw great patterns in choked right.
The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness.

—Tom Kelly