OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 1st Box Call Build.  (Read 986 times)

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
1st Box Call Build.
« on: January 17, 2023, 07:50:25 PM »
Finishing up my 1st box call build. Walnut/Quaking Aspen. A little plain but I think it turned out fairly nice for my 1st attempt. Just applied the 1st coat of tongue oil. Played before starting to finish and it sounded pretty good considering I'm a hack on a box call. Curious to see how it sounds after the finish is completed. I was surprised how lively it was. All kinds of squeaks and squawks on it.

Here's a sound file.  What do you think?

https://youtube.com/shorts/HzA8t9z9wiA?feature=share

Got another Walnut/Aspen and 2 all walnut in the works. We'll see how it goes.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Re: 1st Box Call Build.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »
You done GOOD !!!!!!!!    :icon_thumright:

That call will hunt !!!   100%
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 08:49:47 PM »
That's pretty awesome for a first box call, nice going :icon_thumright:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Online ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 10:24:15 PM »
Kudos! Welcome to the club. Nice work.

Online packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 10:51:19 PM »

Agreed. That’s a great first call, curious why you selected that combo to start with? I’d guess that one could challenge many seasoned makers.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 10:57:23 PM »
For a start I felt it was pretty good, the only thing i was missing was a good roll over yelp.. higher front with a break over bark or rasp .... but a good first start for sure ..

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 11:22:30 PM »

Agreed. That’s a great first call, curious why you selected that combo to start with? I’d guess that one could challenge many seasoned makers.

Chose that option because it's the driest wood I had and when I was building the woodshed I noticed how sticky the Aspen wood was when I tried to slide one board over the other. Plus it's fairly soft and easy to work with. I figured it would be a good choice to get familiar with the process of making the sound chamber.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 11:37:52 PM »
For a start I felt it was pretty good, the only thing i was missing was a good roll over yelp.. higher front with a break over bark or rasp .... but a good first start for sure ..

I agree. I would put most of that on lack of good technique from the user. I have 1 Box call. We'll 2 now, got it from my grandpa. An old lynch world champion. Its in pretty rough shape. He used it the couple times he did go hunting. Don't know where he got it from. Didn't even know he hunted turkey til I got the call after he passed. I think there might have been more booze and not so much hunting with his crowd. The sound board looks like somebody scratched it with a nail or some thing. Any how what I'm trying to get at is I'm basically learning to play a box call as I make them.

I can hear the high and deep is in the call I just need more practice bringing it out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 01:42:15 AM by Paulmyr »

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 12:34:25 AM »
Here's another sound file I think shows me accessing the lower end a little better.

https://youtu.be/-KPzqnB9kNY

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 06:32:20 AM »
Sounds to me like you're short-stroking that call and just not getting out of it everything it's got.

I'm hearing a really nice roll-over in there with a nice yawk on the back end.  That call is legit !!

Find yourself a stick of dry butternut and do to it exactly what you did to the aspen ad you'll have yourself a call to show ANY of the big name makers.  Your call (ESPECIALLY as a first effort) is that good.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 09:09:21 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments, I really appreciate them!

Prolly short stroking and my cadence tends to get a little fast a well. I'll get the finish done and work on the final tune up after the tung oil cures. Didn't want to get too carried away until I've had the chance to hear it after all the finish work is complete. I was thinking of trying to move the break over further up the rail to give more room for the stroke before the paddle drops from the rail. Maybe I'll get busy on finishing the other Walnut/Aspen and try and get the break over up the rail a bit further before messing with this one anymore.

Been trying to get this all walnut call tuned up a tad more before finishing. It's starting to sound pretty decent. I might have to lighten the paddle up just a smidge. I find myself trying to lift the paddle while playing to take some of the weight off. It's either the paddle or I need to make the recess where the spring goes on the call body a little deeper to take some tension off.

We'll see how it goes. I think the arch template of the rail I made with help from the Old Lynch box call is serving me well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 09:24:24 AM by Paulmyr »

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 10:16:01 AM »
Quite nice !!   Again.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979