OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call I Won Zero Game Calls (Soundfile Added)  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Call I Won Zero Game Calls
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 12:11:03 AM »
Tulipwood & Stoned Aluminum should make a nice one, congrats.
Thanks, if the weather every changes to it is not so wet and painful outside I will post a soundbite. Man I wish it would snow.

Good looking call Steve, good luck with it….
Thank you and thank you, it will get action on Tulipwood Tuesdays :D

Can’t go wrong with tulip
Not in my mind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Call I Won Zero Game Calls
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 06:42:02 PM »
Some of you asked for a soundfile of this. I am not the greatest caller but here it is. At one point you will hear the tone changed, I went from playing the striker chalked as well as the surface being chalked to going to a spot that was not chalked and scuffed with a scotch bright cloth (though there was still some chalk on the striker. That is around 1:07) I know, my cadence is off, I need to start listening to my Lovett Williams and Spittin' Feathers CD's to get that down better like I do before every season.
https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/2023_01_28_18_26_12-mp3?si=dca4d45493ae4f54bb7ee7a1723810e4&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Call I Won Zero Game Calls (Soundfile Added)
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 08:52:49 PM »
Steve that sounds good! one piece of advice I can give, I saw a guy playing a call, it was ok but I told him drive it like you stole it, some play a call like they don't want to mess up, play it with wreck less abandon!

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 02:31:12 PM »
Steve that sounds good! one piece of advice I can give, I saw a guy playing a call, it was ok but I told him drive it like you stole it, some play a call like they don't want to mess up, play it with wreck less abandon!
Good advice from bailey, Steve.  Play it like an excited hen.  A hen that is trying to find a mate or another hen.  A cutt should POP!  A yelp should be loud and obnoxious.  Once you get the excited hen down, I believe it is easier to learn to tone down your calling for the soft stuff like the soft yelp and cluck.    Don't be afraid to be excited.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 04:14:45 PM »
Good advice from bailey, Steve.  Play it like an excited hen.  A hen that is trying to find a mate or another hen.  A cutt should POP!  A yelp should be loud and obnoxious.  Once you get the excited hen down, I believe it is easier to learn to tone down your calling for the soft stuff like the soft yelp and cluck.    Don't be afraid to be excited.
Thank you both for the advise. When it comes to the cutts my problem is actually the hands/wrists having been broke, I have a very hard time trying to get back for that second and third cutt. I try to use the slide down the call in a straight line while pressing down method but do not have the greatest of results as the striker seems to loose bite on the call if you know what I mean.

Yelping I try to do how I hear it on Mr. Williams CD's I do not want to get to the point that I am "Machine gunning" the call if you know what I mean, I hear that and it sounds nothing like I have heard a turkey sound like before. I could see me needing to go a bit faster though.

John Koenig:

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 04:27:04 PM »
Some good cutting on here. Some of that "machine gun" cutting around the 1:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmhyi6R4g0

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2023, 05:03:50 PM »
Some good cutting on here. Some of that "machine gun" cutting around the 1:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmhyi6R4g0
I was not referring to cutting bud, that can be quite fast for sure, I was referring to yelping. I have heard some fast yelping for sure, but what I am talking about is guys trying to yelp so fast there is no difference in tone at all or very little. Like I said, I can see me needing to yelp faster as well. I still have a ton to learn after losing all that time. I often wonder how good a turkey/bow hunter I would be if I had not had that accident. Thank you much for trying to help, I still have some learning to do.

John Koenig:

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 04:29:19 PM »
Just stumbled on his site. His stuff look beautiful & priced great.

Any reviews on his strikers? Or any of his stuff for that matter. Can't find much on zero call reviews.

Congrats on the score & thanks for sharing the sound file!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2023, 09:06:54 PM »
Just stumbled on his site. His stuff look beautiful & priced great.

Any reviews on his strikers? Or any of his stuff for that matter. Can't find much on zero call reviews.

Congrats on the score & thanks for sharing the sound file!
I find the striker quite comfortable which is really saying something with the problems I have with my hands. If I had one complaint it would be that I wish the I guess you would say dowel portion of the striker were a tad thicker but again that comes back to my hands.

I have 2 strikers from one of the most loved striker makers that there ever was from what I have read here and on other sites and they sound great but they really hurt my hands to play because they are thin. That is not the makers problem though, that is my problem. I keep them as they are historic in my mind and made by a true master.

John Koenig:

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 10:22:18 PM »
10-4. Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2023, 09:29:16 PM »
That sure is a beautiful pot call Steve.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2023, 09:47:58 PM »
That sure is a beautiful pot call Steve.
He did a nice job building It. Thanks.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig: