OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fixing a crack in a trumpet

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, January 13, 2023, 03:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I have a trumpet that's developed a small crack that runs from the bell end and is about 1.5" long.  It's a really small, almost hairline crack and doesn't run all the way through.  This is a finished call.  I was thinking of just filling it with CA glue but was concerned about messing up the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

M,Yingling

take small piece folded up paper towel put a dab ca on it and hit the spot be quick and lite may take couple lite coats ... try it out on piece scrap wood first maybe
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

davisd9

Contact the builder? They may can do it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Meleagris gallopavo

I may try the dab on the paper towel.  I think I have some scrap wood with cracks.  The builder offered to make me another, but I really like the call so I want to fix it and keep it.  It's a great sounding call.

randywallace

inject CA with a fine needle.  They sell them on amazon/ebay.  Look for a "precision glue needle" in something 34 gauge or smaller. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195559271587?

RH1

IMO...trying to fix a hairline with any product is a waste of time. Personally, if it's just a surface crack I'd leave it alone but keep an eye on it...or, dremel or even a small piece of hacksaw blade and gently cut the crack line and use starbond with the accelerator. You're gonna have to touch up the finish whatever method you choose as a fix.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

ChesterCopperpot

CA.

Meleagris gallopavo

Well I filled with CA and took it to a duck call maker down the road to refinish it.  It's good as new, but as you would expect you can still see the crack.  The finish is smooth over the crack and you can't feel it.  The call runs great!

M,Yingling

well thats good hear  ,,, little trick to help hide a crack is get a little fine sanding dust same color as wood rub into crack then apply glue
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 25, 2023, 08:17:59 AM
well thats good hear  ,,, little trick to help hide a crack is get a little fine sanding dust same color as wood rub into crack then apply glue
Thanks.  The duck call maker said that too but he had been turning acrylic and didn't have much wood dust.  It's a tiny crack and kinda matches the grain pattern.