OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your Best Value Turkey Call

Started by Zobo, January 11, 2023, 10:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

:turkey2:
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 31, 2023, 07:15:02 AM
I've been fortunate to be gifted calls from some of the finest callmakers around so those are definitely my personal best values. Outside of that, our classifieds section here on OG produces some stupidly good deals on calls year to year. Right now I'm obsessed with a Preacherman box I picked up a few months ago for about half what it would've cost new. This thing is pure turkey. But if I was going with calls that could be purchased new I'd go Greg Gwaltney on a trumpet. He's making calls on par with yelpers that cost twice what he's asking. I'd go with them Shoemaker boys at SS Custom Calls on a box, and if I had to go cheaper there I'd get a Spring Creek and hunt hell out of it. With pot calls there's a whole lot of makers you can pick up in the $50-$65 range. I'd get something plain jane from Buster Halford and again hunt the hell out of it. I'm not very proficient on a diaphragm otherwise I'd say that call would be hard to beat as it can do everything and worst case you've got $10 tied up, most times $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All excellent recommendations!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

:biggringift:
Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 31, 2023, 12:11:19 AM
My CODY World Class has cost me less than a dollar a bird, so far at .65 is pretty cost effective :icon_thumright:

MK M GOBL

You can't argue with success!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 31, 2023, 08:52:56 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 31, 2023, 07:15:02 AM
........ and if I had to go cheaper there I'd get a Spring Creek and hunt hell out of it.

X2 !!!

Mike's calls are some of the best values out there.  Very well one.  Very reasonably priced. And ALL turkey !!!!

Yep.

:agreed:
With Spring Creek one just can't ask for a better tuned short box.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Far2low

You would have a hard time beating derrin dawkins pot call for $50 imo

REBELYELL

Lonnie Mabry pots and boxes
SS boxes and scratchers
Andy Terrell trumpets

TJ3152

SS scratch box. Inexpensive and very deadly with the soft stuff.

Chris O

For being well under 50$ when I bought them maybe 5 years ago. Eckle Smith from Mississippi makes a box call that will put many expensive calls to shame. They are nothing fancy but the sound is definitely there. There used to be a sound file from bugaman with one of his calls on the forum.

TauntoHawk

Anything I've ever received from SS is pretty deep into the value side of the equation. Always affordable and deadly

Best values is probably a cedar scratch box from L&L I think cost me $22 and has accounted for 8-10 gobblers and a $50 box I got from a call maker I can no longer track down or find thats up there with everything I've ever played

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

A $8 Knight and Hale model 150 push pin. A $12 lynch composite pot call. They are in my vest every time I hit the woods.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

ferocious calls

I get the most value from the calls I make. You can too. Ask any that get Ferocious. Lots of singers ready to ship. Short boxes. Fancy or real fancy you pick. 

Yoder409

Quote from: ferocious calls on February 20, 2023, 07:53:45 AM
I get the most value from the calls I make. You can too. Ask any that get Ferocious. Lots of singers ready to ship. Short boxes. Fancy or real fancy you pick.

:agreed:

ALL of Kip's boxes (granted I've only played 40 or 50 of them) are pure turkey !!!!!

ONLY guy I know that can pull a perfect hen outta a 100% red oak box call.  THAT...........is sayin' something !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

bbcoach

Quote from: Gobblechicken4 on January 30, 2023, 11:36:50 PM
My still do this day best value is a Primos ol Betsy slate call. It's ugly and cheap and maybe I got luck but the one I have surely does have a sweet sound and the turkeys seem to like it. And I actually have a buddy who has one older than mine and his is the same.
X2!!!!  Cheap, Ugly but it just gets the job done Day in and Day Out!!!  This call has killed birds in Florida, NC, Kansas and South Dakota (Slam).  I'm not sure what it is about this call but it will GETTER DONE!  I've Gifted several to hunting buddies and they have killed birds with theirs as well.  My Go To!

runngun

Preston Pittman "Flap N Scratch"!!!! Perfect for when you don't have any leaves around to Scratch in!!!! One of the best calls I've ever used!!! Deadly.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

hpo

Best value? Coffee stirrer straw. Use as a Yelper for clucks and yelps.
Shoot'em in the Face!

g8rvet

Best value?  HS Strut Triple Glass. First call I bought and always in my vest.  Have called in a lot of turkeys with it.  I have some nice calls, but that one is still my go to call, first I pull out. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.