OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New guy, and with a question *** SUCCESS UPDATE ***  (Read 2147 times)

Offline RMP

New guy, and with a question *** SUCCESS UPDATE ***
« on: January 02, 2023, 11:17:51 AM »
Hello.  I've been lurking for some time and decided to introduce myself.  I've already learned a lot from what I've read on this site, so thanks to you all for that.

I have some questions about fall/winter turkey hunting.  I'll give you some background before I ask the questions:

I live in southeast Virginia.  I do hunt turkeys in the spring, with varying levels of success.  And I've shot them in the fall.  In fact, most of the turkeys I've ever killed have been in the fall.  Our fall turkey season is broken up into segments and some of it overlaps other seasons.  The vast majority of turkeys I've taken in the fall have been while hunting other things.  But I want to try some actual fall turkey hunting and not just take them incidentally to hunting something else.

The last fall segment is coming up on January 14 to January 28.  Bearded and non-bearded are legal.  This segment is not during the deer season, so I will not have to wear blaze orange during this segment.  (Virginia requires blaze orange during any hunting during the deer firearms season.) 

Southeast Virginia weather in January ranges from short sleeve shirt temps to parka temps.  Snow, rain, overcast, or bright sun.  So no telling what the weather will be like.

I hunt on a hilly tract of land that has been partially timbered and has thick pine thickets.  There's losts of big ravines that form bottomlands.  The pine thickets are usually up higher and adjoin bottom areas that are more hardwoods, mostly beech trees.  Other areas have been clearcut and are covered in new growth pine and every imaginable sort of thorny plant.  There's a swamp the separates this tract of land from some other private land.  The swamp edges are oaks and several hundred yards through those oaks is a cut corn field.  I do not have access to the land on the other side of that swamp.

While deer hunting this fall, I've determined the birds are pretty much roosting in the pine thickets at night.  From what I've seen, they'll stay there until April when the flock breaks up.  I know that because they are still there when spring season starts.  By mid April, they're all over the place.  They are flying down around 7 AM.  Before that I am hearting soft tree calls.  Am an even hearing an occassional gobble.  When they hit the ground they pretty much go silent.   I've seen a big flock fly in from the corn field maklng nosies as they flew and landed.  When they come down in the morning, sometimes they are coming down into the beech trees and foraging for beech nuts.  Sometimes they are going across the swamp to the corn field.  The last bird I shot had a craw half full of field corn, half full of beech nuts.

So, I have some questions:

1)  Under these circumstances, how much would hunting this time of year be like hunting in the spring? 
2)  Are decoys useful in the winter?  I know I need to be set up somewhere before the flydown and try and keep the birds on my side of the swamp.
3)  I am proficient with pot calls and box calls.  I am getting better with mouth calls.  What call is best, if any?  What calls should I work on to keep these birds on my side of the swamp?

Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:30:20 PM by RMP »

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: New guy, and with a question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 02:47:56 PM »
Welcome aboard. I am primarily a Spring Turkey hunter, but there are several veteran Fall Guys on here that hopefully see this post to offer their expertise. Good luck, enjoy the forum…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline RMP

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 04:42:39 PM »
Thanks

Offline Pu11it

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 08:22:12 PM »
Good to see you here.
I am new myself

Offline RMP

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 08:56:01 PM »
 :thanks:

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 09:09:42 PM »
Welcome to the OG Forums !!!!!

While deer hunting this fall, I've determined the birds are pretty much roosting in the pine thickets at night.  From what I've seen, they'll stay there until April when the flock breaks up.  I know that because they are still there when spring season starts.  By mid April, they're all over the place.  They are flying down around 7 AM.  Before that I am hearting soft tree calls.  Am an even hearing an occassional gobble.  When they hit the ground they pretty much go silent.   I've seen a big flock fly in from the corn field maklng nosies as they flew and landed.  When they come down in the morning, sometimes they are coming down into the beech trees and foraging for beech nuts.  Sometimes they are going across the swamp to the corn field.  The last bird I shot had a craw half full of field corn, half full of beech nuts.

So, I have some questions:

1)  Under these circumstances, how much would hunting this time of year be like hunting in the spring?

Not particularly similar in that you are not trying to appeal to a gobbler's urge to mate. 

2)  Are decoys useful in the winter?  I know I need to be set up somewhere before the flydown and try and keep the birds on my side of the swamp.

I'd personally leave the decoys at home.

3)  I am proficient with pot calls and box calls.  I am getting better with mouth calls.  What call is best, if any?  What calls should I work on to keep these birds on my side of the swamp?

If you can get in on the roosted birds 0:Dark-30, a little soft tree talk just to let them know you're there.  I'd likely lean on the pot call for that.  But either would be fine.  Just talk SOFT.  Just like the roosted birds.

Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Get between where the birds are roosted and where you think they're gonna go.  Call soft.  You're appealing to their social nature.  Not any mating instinct.  Learn how to kee-kee on your pot call if you haven't already.

Thanks.

Best of luck !!!  Go get 'em !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 09:11:03 PM »
Good to see you here.
I am new myself

WELCOME ABOARD, to you, as well !!!!!!

:wagon:

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline RMP

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 09:47:45 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 11:05:43 PM »
I have only been Fall hunting for 3 years now so I am no expert at all. No it is not quite like Spring hunting but it is fun. The go to call that you read about is the Keekee or Keekee Run, I have not had much success with it but I am still learning it myself. I can do it no problem on my Don Watkins box calls and am getting okay with it on a trumpet I am told. (Not so sure I agree) There are some good books on Fall hunting and some videos though not near as many as Spring hunting. Anyway that is the very small amount of help I can offer. Maybe a jake yelp would work but I am not sure of that. Anyway welcome to the forum and best of luck to you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 09:38:29 AM »
When fall/winter hunting, the first thing is understanding the flock structure at this time of year.  In most fall hunting situations, you will be dealing with three "types" of flocks of turkeys.  These are 1) hens with their young of the year, 2) groups of last year's jakes, and 3) bands of mature gobblers.  Each of these groups generally requires a different approach in your fall/winter hunting and calling tactics.  Identifying the group of turkeys you are about to interact with and tailoring your calling to "fit the flock" is an important consideration.

Having said that, as others have stated, there are some dedicated fall turkey hunters here that can expound on their successful tactics better than I can.  Although I have hunted fall turkeys in the past, I have pretty much stopped in recent years. 

Offline RMP

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 12:01:08 PM »
The biggest flock I've seen was about 30 individuals and they all appeared to be hens.  However, I know there are toms around.  Even thought it was fall, I heard gobbling. 

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 11:41:03 PM »
Don't make it any harder than it is.
Sounds like you got the most important thing covered.....you're hunting where there are turkeys and you know the land.

Get in before daybreak and listen. If you hear turkeys, call to them. If you don't hear turkeys, call.....listen. Be patient.
Call soft. Call a little louder. Listen. If you get a response, imitate that turkey.

Learn the difference between (and learn to make) gobbler/jake yelps, hen assembly calls, kee-kee runs.
Any call or calls you can use proficiently will be fine. Don't be afraid to call and call often if you aren't hearing anything.

Have fun!!!

Offline RMP

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 12:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I do know the land and know where they're hanging out.  I am hearing all kinds of sounds coming out of them when they are on the move. 

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 11:27:46 AM »
My only suggestion is for you to spend as much time as you can in hunting these birds. Try your best not to bump them while your are chasing and setting up.  In the fall turkeys have a different attitude... Good luck

Offline RMP

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 07:51:52 PM »
I'm heading out in the morning.  Got my truck loaded.  I have two of my bestest kee kee'ing friction calls.  My Primos Waterboard box and my Hanks Zebrawood glass over aluminum with my dymondwood and poplar striker and a pure dymondwood striker.  Got a few mouth calls, too.  The Primos kee kees reasonably well and belts out some really good chatter.  The Hanks kee kees like a champ if I condition it with 220 grit sandpaper as well as the strikers.  I've been annoying my pets all day with some last minute practicing.  Will be taking my Winchjester SX4 20 gauge and some Federal TSS #7s.  Now I just need a bird to committ suicide and get in front of my gun.     :funnyturkey: