turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Striker Wood

Started by jbrown, January 04, 2023, 11:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Pretty dependent imo on call surface, wood itself and certainly striker size, shape, etc.

BTH

For crystal  no particular order :

Yellow heart
Macassar ebony
Ipe
Dymondwood

Really high pitch ear thumping striker
Hickory
Jatoba
Black Locust
Phil 4:13

Big Jeremy

I like a lot of woods. JLH makes my favorite strikers, and I'll list a few of my favorites of his in a minute, but before that..I really like my Neal Herrman Tulipwood and gaboon ebony...that gaboon ebony plays well on just about everything. I also like my Stuckey tulipwood. And a Fowler black locust(my #3 favorite striker)...one of my all-around best strikers. It plays well on every call I have.

Back to JLH...my #1 is my new TSS edition heavy cedar. It is such a good striker, and makes everything sound good! Others of his that I love are his heavy hickory, frogwood (of course...if you don't have one, you need one), snakewood (really good on crystal), Mac ebony, tulipwood, Honduran rosewood, pernambuco, hormigo, sinker bullet tree (probably my #2 overall striker), sinker sapodilla (excels on crystal, and really sings on copper)...you get the point. Jeff makes an unbelievable striker that just works for me. I have more (and a problem with buying Jeff's strikers), and any of them can do well, but these are some of my favorites.

Wait...you just asked for five woods...my bad.

Sim1982

Wigsplitter

Crowstalker

Depends on calling surface. Slate Purple Heart. Crystal. Dymondwood.

rong

I have too many too list. My favorite depends on the pot and surface I'm using at the time. That said I'm partial to the medium weight and harness woods like hickory, locust, maple, etc.