OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Whoot! New gun day!

Started by the Ward, December 28, 2022, 12:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunghit

Quote from: the Ward on December 29, 2022, 04:33:25 PM
Well I bought it with full intentions of a dedicated turkey gun,but the dang thing fits me
so good i want to try it on some clays now too, lol! I can't wait to do some patterning myself.
Looks like we are going to have a stretch of unseasonably warm weather coming up, so I'm going
to try and get some on paper. Can't wait!
Let us know how she shoots. With this warmer weather I am getting the itch to pattern and think about the spring season!
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

the Ward

Quote from: lunghit on December 31, 2022, 12:17:04 PM
Well I bought it with full intentions of a dedicated turkey gun,but the dang thing fits me
so good i want to try it on some clays now too, lol! I can't wait to do some patterning myself.
Looks like we are going to have a stretch of unseasonably warm weather coming up, so I'm going
Let us know how she shoots. With this warmer weather I am getting the itch to pattern and think about the spring season!
Will do!

the Ward

Did a little puttering around today. Dug out my browning inv+ chokes I had, and in
turkey chokes  found a factory full strut .640, carlson .680, truglo .665 and a briley
xtra full, constriction unknown.So i have something to start with. All these chokes shot
good in my bps upland depending on what shell i used. I have a lot of various 3" turkey ammo
stashed away, turkey thugs, magblends, win extended range, old rem hevishot and some old
winchester loads in the treebark camo boxes that shoot unbelievable in the .640 out of the browning.
Got my quake claw sling on, and played with sighting options. I have a box full of fiber optic sights,
and i really liked how the one set of truglo sights with the optional peep rear fit and worked on it. They
were the last set i had on the browning and worked great, but i had to lift my head a bit due to the drop
in the straight grip upland stock.They set on the sx4 great. Had the meadow creek/ff3 mount on too, it works well also. I am hoping it will shoot poi/poa
with the stock bead, as i would like to keep it simple, but if not, I have some good sight options ready to go. Just got to get some more patterning paper and the weather to co-operate, and then I'm going to give
it a try. I do want to try some 3.5s too, maybe some longbeards, xx's some federal grand slams or such.
Will update with pattern pics and such after testing.

lunghit

Quote from: the Ward on January 02, 2023, 11:07:18 AM
Did a little puttering around today. Dug out my browning inv+ chokes I had, and in
turkey chokes  found a factory full strut .640, carlson .680, truglo .665 and a briley
xtra full, constriction unknown.So i have something to start with. All these chokes shot
good in my bps upland depending on what shell i used. I have a lot of various 3" turkey ammo
stashed away, turkey thugs, magblends, win extended range, old rem hevishot and some old
winchester loads in the treebark camo boxes that shoot unbelievable in the .640 out of the browning.
Got my quake claw sling on, and played with sighting options. I have a box full of fiber optic sights,
and i really liked how the one set of truglo sights with the optional peep rear fit and worked on it. They
were the last set i had on the browning and worked great, but i had to lift my head a bit due to the drop
in the straight grip upland stock.They set on the sx4 great. Had the meadow creek/ff3 mount on too, it works well also. I am hoping it will shoot poi/poa
with the stock bead, as i would like to keep it simple, but if not, I have some good sight options ready to go. Just got to get some more patterning paper and the weather to co-operate, and then I'm going to give
it a try. I do want to try some 3.5s too, maybe some longbeards, xx's some federal grand slams or such.
Good luck I'm sure you will find a choke and load that's going to devastate some turkey brains lol. I only tried my SX4 20 gauge with the 26" barrel with just a bead and that gun has identical POA and POI. I kept it that way because sometimes I want to keep things simple and go with no sight. But 99% of the time I have a gun with a red dot with me while in the woods.

RMP

Nice gun.  Congratulations!   

The Winchester SX4s are great guns.  I have two, a 12 gauge 24" "Universal Hunter" and a 20 gauge "Waterfowl" and they perform flawlessly.  My 12 gauge is my dual purpose buckshot/turkeyshot gun.  It really takes to bite out of heavy 3 1/2" 12 gauge 00 and XR rounds. 

BTW, you may notice a tad bit of finish wear in the grooves inside the receiver where the bolt carrier slides.  I keep these grooves lubed with TW25B grease.  Any decent gun grease would work.

Here's my 12 gauge.

the Ward

Quote from: RMP on January 02, 2023, 06:37:16 PM
Nice gun.  Congratulations!   

The Winchester SX4s are great guns.  I have two, a 12 gauge 24" "Universal Hunter" and a 20 gauge "Waterfowl" and they perform flawlessly.  My 12 gauge is my dual purpose buckshot/turkeyshot gun.  It really takes to bite out of heavy 3 1/2" 12 gauge 00 and XR rounds. 

BTW, you may notice a tad bit of finish wear in the grooves inside the receiver where the bolt carrier slides.  I keep these grooves lubed with TW25B grease.  Any decent gun grease would work.

Here's my 12 gauge.

Thanks! Nice picture and your gun looks great! Thanks for the tip on greasing the rails, i will have to get some of that to try.I broke down the gun and cleaned it,
and lightly oiled it. I used some lucas heavy duty gun oil on the bolt and rails, I have used it in the past on my semi auto
pistols and it worked well. It is a heavy oil that clings pretty good, but not as good as a grease though.

the Ward

Quote from: lunghit on January 02, 2023, 03:15:23 PM
Quote from: the Ward on January 02, 2023, 11:07:18 AM
Good luck I'm sure you will find a choke and load that's going to devastate some turkey brains lol. I only tried my SX4 20 gauge with the 26" barrel with just a bead and that gun has identical POA and POI. I kept it that way because sometimes I want to keep things simple and go with no sight. But 99% of the time I have a gun with a red dot with me while in the woods.
[/qu
Same here, been hunting with a red dot or a scope for awhile, just thought it might be fun to get back to the basics for a bit.
I just hope I don't run into any turkeys that look like this  :OGturkeyhead:   !!!

the Ward

RMP,  how do you like the Trijicon? Is that the model that has the dual illumination
feature? And by the way..... :welcomeOG:

RMP

I like that Trijicon on that shotgun a good deal.  It is a Dual Illuminated model with a 9 MOA green dot.  I used to have it on Glock pistol but the dual illimated is not ideal for pistol use.  So I moved it over to this SX4 to see how I would like it there.  It works well in that role.  It's fast, and the dot size is great for a shotgun.  The dual illuminated feature makes is so the dot self adjusts for brightness, so it's always sufficient outside.  The downside is that the lens is heavily tinted.  Outside, that is not a problem.     

the Ward

Quote from: RMP on January 03, 2023, 05:54:55 AM
I like that Trijicon on that shotgun a good deal.  It is a Dual Illuminated model with a 9 MOA green dot.  I used to have it on Glock pistol but the dual illimated is not ideal for pistol use.  So I moved it over to this SX4 to see how I would like it there.  It works well in that role.  It's fast, and the dot size is great for a shotgun.  The dual illuminated feature makes is so the dot self adjusts for brightness, so it's always sufficient outside.  The downside is that the lens is heavily tinted.  Outside, that is not a problem.   
Thanks for the info RMP. I also prefer a larger dot for turkey. Mine all have 3moa
sized dots, they work ok, but sometimes hard to pick up quickly. My next dot will
be at least a 6. For close range shotgun work I just feel the bigger dot just works better,
at least for me.

lunghit

Did you ever get the chance to shoot and pattern your new gun?

the Ward

Not yet, been going crazy wanting to get out and try it though! We had some
warm days here, but it was really windy, and I didn't feel like trying to deal with
that in an open field lol. I fixed my target stand, and am going to pick up some more
paper for patterning targets today.I also got some 3.5 #6 grand slams to try.I will certainly post up my results and pics as soon
as I can.

Tom007

Can't wait to see how you like that Browning Full Strut .640. I have success in my Cynergy with this choke.......good luck......
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

Quote from: Tom007 on February 18, 2023, 09:49:14 AM
Can't wait to see how you like that Browning Full Strut .640. I have success in my Cynergy with this choke.......good luck......
:icon_thumright:

lunghit

Quote from: the Ward on February 18, 2023, 08:50:29 AM
Not yet, been going crazy wanting to get out and try it though! We had some
warm days here, but it was really windy, and I didn't feel like trying to deal with
that in an open field lol. I fixed my target stand, and am going to pick up some more
paper for patterning targets today.I also got some 3.5 #6 grand slams to try.I will certainly post up my results and pics as soon
as I can.
I am also waiting for some better weather to do some shooting. Can't wait. I'm sure you will love it and let us know how she does!