OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Are Push pin’s the “Red Headed Step Child” in the Turkey call arena?

Started by Tom007, December 22, 2022, 06:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: callmakerman on December 26, 2022, 02:17:24 PM
When it's said and done both the scratch box and push pin are the redheaded stepchildren of turkey calls.  I do not use a push pin hunting at all. It's just not my thing. I use scratch boxes a good bit while hunting and will do so over a box call any day of the week. Most will not take the time that's needed to learn how to run a good push pin or scratch box. And truth be told at least to my ear there's not many really good sounding calls of either type. There's still a good number that can and will work under the right conditions but when it comes to going after that boss gobbler that's been pressured, that number of the right calls drops a good bit. Bottom line. Learn to use and get everything you can from any call you choose to hunt with, and the end result will be much better at season's end.

Callmakerman, you no doubt know more about calls than I ever will being a renowned call maker yourself. I have to confess that Shannon's and a very short list of other pushpin makers do produce great sounding PP's. Shannon's is superior, the clucks and purrs at least to my ears are killer. I can only speak from experience that they bring in long-beards better than anything else I've used. I do practice often, but since I have switched to PP's as my primary calls, I have had tremendous success. You are 100% correct that learning and practicing on the particular call you choose is the secret to end of season success. Great response, thanks...
"Solo hunter"

callmakerman

Quote from: Tom007 on December 26, 2022, 05:02:19 PM
When it's said and done both the scratch box and push pin are the redheaded stepchildren of turkey calls.  I do not use a push pin hunting at all. It's just not my thing. I use scratch boxes a good bit while hunting and will do so over a box call any day of the week. Most will not take the time that's needed to learn how to run a good push pin or scratch box. And truth be told at least to my ear there's not many really good sounding calls of either type. There's still a good number that can and will work under the right conditions but when it comes to going after that boss gobbler that's been pressured, that number of the right calls drops a good bit. Bottom line. Learn to use and get everything you can from any call you choose to hunt with, and the end result will be much better at season's end.

Callmakerman, you no doubt know more about calls than I ever will being a renowned call maker yourself. I have to confess that Shannon's and a very short list of other pushpin makers do produce great sounding PP's. Shannon's is superior, the clucks and purrs at least to my ears are killer. I can only speak from experience that they bring in long-beards better than anything else I've used. I do practice often, but since I have switched to PP's as my primary calls, I have had tremendous success. You are 100% correct that learning and practicing on the particular call you choose is the secret to end of season success. Great response, thanks...
Shannon's calls have an unmatched sound that others have yet to ascend to that's for sure.

Tom007

Quote from: callmakerman on December 26, 2022, 06:00:51 PM

Shannon's calls have an unmatched sound that others have yet to ascend to that's for sure.

You bet my brother, be well....
"Solo hunter"

limb_hanger

The past couple of seasons I have had the most response from push pins out of anything else. In particular last season I was fortunate to get one of Shannon's and worked incredibly well and had instant responses every time I used it ...that's confidence in my opinion. To my ears they produce the most authentic clucks and soft yelps that birds haven't heard and being able to use them in close situations is a huge plus with little movement . I also have one from Mike lapp that is tops in my book

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Tom007

Quote from: limb_hanger on December 26, 2022, 08:11:15 PM
The past couple of seasons I have had the most response from push pins out of anything else. In particular last season I was fortunate to get one of Shannon's and worked incredibly well and had instant responses every time I used it ...that's confidence in my opinion. To my ears they produce the most authentic clucks and soft yelps that birds haven't heard and being able to use them in close situations is a huge plus with little movement . I also have one from Mike lapp that is tops in my book

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Amen my friend. Your comments are dead on. I too have a Lapp PP. it is fantastic, has a great sound. I do however think Shannon's are more versatile, making the more realistic sounds. The way he designed his call with the longer striker, and ability to play the "Paddle" without using the pin sets it apart from all the others. This design allows you to play it one handed at your side in close encounters. It's played totally different than a standard pushpin and can call extremely soft, but has the ability to reach out. His calls have changed the game for me for sure.....
"Solo hunter"

Paulmyr

My dad used a push pin back when we started turkey hunting in the early 90's. It was a cheap plastic Hs Strutt model. Its been relegated to the back of the closet since he learned to use pot calls. I see it every once in a while rummaging through the turkey hunting tote. The call didn't sound to bad. A  guy with zero experience turkey hunting could pick one up and have decent, consistent turkey sounds coming from it in a minute or 2. It made some excellent fighting purrs, problem is it looks like it was sold at the Dollar store, on clearance, in the toy dept.

I've seen a vid where Shannon gives a little tutorial on one of his PPs and plays the call. Didn't sound like the push pin I was used to hearing. The versatility and quality of sound don't compare. The craftsmanship on his calls scream pick me up off this mantle and play me! The HS Strutt not so much. It looks like it would be more comfortable in a bag of them little plastic army men.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

Quote from: callmakerman on December 26, 2022, 06:00:51 PM

X2 Shannon's push pin are in a different league in craftsmanship and sounds. No other builder can come close to his push pins in quality. In saying this, there are other builders of push pins that do a pretty good job of making them also.  Some of the lesser quality ones do sound pretty good, it's a matter of just finding your sound.  Good post everyone ... 

Greg Massey

If you want to own another great push Pin , i would suggest you contact Winky Hicks his push pins that are made for a old farm post and having the ability to soft call on his push pins with cedar corncob striker are priceless .   You're missing out on meeting and talking with a fine gentleman, musician and push pin builder. His push pins have a lot of great history.  You will not be disappointed in owning one of his calls ...  His calls are really 2 calls in one with the added slate to purr and cluck on...

Tom007

Quote from: Paulmyr on December 27, 2022, 09:57:09 AM
My dad used a push pin back when we started turkey hunting in the early 90's. It was a cheap plastic Hs Strutt model. Its been relegated to the back of the closet since he learned to use pot calls. I see it every once in a while rummaging through the turkey hunting tote. The call didn't sound to bad. A  guy with zero experience turkey hunting could pick one up and have decent, consistent turkey sounds coming from it in a minute or 2. It made some excellent fighting purrs, problem is it looks like it was sold at the Dollar store, on clearance, in the toy dept.

I've seen a vid where Shannon gives a little tutorial on one of his PPs and plays the call. Didn't sound like the push pin I was used to hearing. The versatility and quality of sound don't compare. The craftsmanship on his calls scream pick me up off this mantle and play me! The HS Strutt not so much. It looks like it would be more comfortable in a bag of them little plastic army men.

Amen my friend
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 27, 2022, 10:44:38 AM
If you want to own another great push Pin , i would suggest you contact Winky Hicks his push pins that are made for a old farm post and having the ability to soft call on his push pins with cedar corncob striker are priceless .   You're missing out on meeting and talking with a fine gentleman, musician and push pin builder. His push pins have a lot of great history.  You will not be disappointed in owning one of his calls ...  His calls are really 2 calls in one with the added slate to purr and cluck on...

Ditto here, I love the sound of Mr. Hicks PP. Another real good PP option....
"Solo hunter"

Meleagris gallopavo

Although I don't currently own one now, I did have a cheap push pin that sounded pretty good.  I have no idea what happened to it.  To me it's a very functional call, especially when turkeys are close and the less movement they see the better.  A push pin ca n easily be used with one hand, which I like.  I plan on obtaining a few good ones in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.