OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Are Push pin’s the “Red Headed Step Child” in the Turkey call arena?

Started by Tom007, December 22, 2022, 06:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Do push pins get a bum wrap? I think they are now getting the respect they deserve. When I first started Turkey hunting in the early 80's, push-pins were known to be "easy to use beginner calls". The truth being said, they are easy to learn, the simple cluck, Yelp, feeding purr etc. can harvest most turkeys. In fact, I think soft clucks on the right push-pin can lure in the toughest gobblers. The early PP's were made from the simplest of woods, the craftsmanship was a bit primitive. Fast forward to today, PP's have come a long way IMO. I confess that I am a bias PP hunter, I'm not ashamed to say that they are the most important, successful calls that I own. Many call makers now offer some real quality, well crafted, great sounding PP's; of course Old Gobbler's calls lead the pack and are second to none. I always carry 2 with me, I create a "fighting purr" situation when the time is right that has been very successful in bringing in a stubborn Tom. I just wanted to throw a Shout out to those call makers that are making PP's, thank you and keep em coming.....be safe, be well, Happy Holidays to all......
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

I think of scratch boxes as the redheaded step child, and pushpins (like Shannon says) as the side show freak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 22, 2022, 02:02:52 PM
I think of scratch boxes as the redheaded step child, and pushpins (like Shannon says) as the side show freak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought of that, but we all know that most calls in the right hands can be deadly....I have heard some great sounding scratch boxes.......
"Solo hunter"

btodd00

I don't have a ton of them but a push pin was the first call i was ever given as far as I can remember. It was an old knight and hale which I still have and stays on shelf in my man cave. I have some other assorted ones, all I believe would call a turkey but not much to look at.

I'm on the list to get a Mike Lapp push pin (hopefully coming up soon)

Tom007

Quote from: btodd00 on December 23, 2022, 10:55:11 PM
I don't have a ton of them but a push pin was the first call i was ever given as far as I can remember. It was an old knight and hale which I still have and stays on shelf in my man cave. I have some other assorted ones, all I believe would call a turkey but not much to look at.

I'm on the list to get a Mike Lapp push pin (hopefully coming up soon)

You'll do well with Mikes, I had good success with his. If you can get your hands on one of Shannon's, his sound awesome, all Turkey....be well.
"Solo hunter"

Tarheel

Old Gobbler raised the standard for push-pin turkey calls. He did the work to improve usability and sound.  Now others are playing catch-up.  The push-pin concept is so simple it's complicated....especially if you're looking to replicate superior turkey sounds.  Listening to Steve Hale and Shannon play a push-pin is different from listening to most others playing a push-pin...including me.

Tom007

Quote from: Tarheel on December 25, 2022, 09:58:17 AM
Old Gobbler raised the standard for push-pin turkey calls. He did the work to improve usability and sound.  Now others are playing catch-up.  The push-pin concept is so simple it's complicated....especially if you're looking to replicate superior turkey sounds.  Listening to Steve Hale and Shannon play a push-pin is different from listening to most others playing a push-pin...including me.

Well said, and so true.....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Good quality push pins are deadly in the turkey woods.  Some of the lesser quality ones will surprise you also, it's like going thru a group of calls and finding your sounds. As production calls were coming of age, push pin was another easy call to carry and use in your bag of tricks.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 25, 2022, 11:10:46 AM
Good quality push pins are deadly in the turkey woods.  Some of the lesser quality ones will surprise you also, it's like going thru a group of calls and finding your sounds. As production calls were coming of age, push pin was another easy call to carry and use in your bag of tricks.

Amen Greg...
"Solo hunter"

3bailey3

Guys please knock it off with this topic, no one uses one around me and I would like to keep it that way!!

Tarheel

The push-pin market is dominated by push-pins built to a price point that the callmaker thinks the market will support.  In the past, push-pins generally sold for cheap, reflecting negatively.  There is still room for research, innovation and development with push-pins, but there are few who will make the commitment and do the work.  It is work.....

Tyoung

Tom007

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 25, 2022, 07:35:20 PM
Guys please knock it off with this topic, no one uses one around me and I would like to keep it that way!!

Thank god..........same here.....
"Solo hunter"

Tarheel

Like it or not, the push-pin momentum will continue to see some increase.....slowly, but surely.  Old Gobbler has shown the way....LOL!  Personally, I doubt few will spend the time and effort to take the push-pin to the level Shannon does, but we will see.....

callmakerman

When it's said and done both the scratch box and push pin are the redheaded stepchildren of turkey calls.  I do not use a push pin hunting at all. It's just not my thing. I use scratch boxes a good bit while hunting and will do so over a box call any day of the week. Most will not take the time that's needed to learn how to run a good push pin or scratch box. And truth be told at least to my ear there's not many really good sounding calls of either type. There's still a good number that can and will work under the right conditions but when it comes to going after that boss gobbler that's been pressured, that number of the right calls drops a good bit. Bottom line. Learn to use and get everything you can from any call you choose to hunt with, and the end result will be much better at season's end.