turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Notches

Started by greentrout, December 20, 2022, 10:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greentrout

I have heard stories of turkey hunters in the past notching their calls for every bird called into range or taken. I made a mark in my leather sling for each deer taken with my rifle, but nothing on my calls or shotgun. Does anyone here actually do that? Would love to see your calls with those marks if so.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Yoder409

Never did it.  But I have an old Hally Caller Deluxe Box that would be checkered at 30 LPI if I had.........

:you_rock:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

callmakerman

Nope. Can't bring myself to do that to a call. The way I see it, I will remember every time in hunting with that call. No need to mark it up.

EZ

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 20, 2022, 05:01:27 PM
Never did it.  But I have an old Hally Caller Deluxe Box that would be checkered at 30 LPI if I had.........

:you_rock:

Lol....I hear ya. I have a little cane yelper that I made quite a while back that played so well I decided to keep it for myself. I didn't even finish it (darn shame for a call maker to have such a homely looking cal, lol), but if I notched that call for every dead turkey it produced, there'd be nothing left of it  :funnyturkey:

greentrout

Quote from: callmakerman on December 20, 2022, 07:08:44 PM
Nope. Can't bring myself to do that to a call. The way I see it, I will remember every time in hunting with that call. No need to mark it up.

I like the idea of it. But I feel the same as you Bill! I buy calls to use. They may end up with their own dents and dings, but I can't deface another man's hard work.

vt35mag

I haven't done it, but the only type of call I would even think of doing it to would be the edge of the base of a box call.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gustav

This is the call I've been using for the last 14 years.  I do put notches on it for each legal bird it calls in to gun range.  257 notches so far. 

packmule

Posting the photo for Gustav, from above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

I haven't done that myself, but I think it's pretty cool. It adds character to a call, and stories that it holds.

I used to scrimshaw a deer track onto a powder horn for each deer I harvested. I think I may have missed a couple though.

Yoder409

Quote from: Gustav on December 20, 2022, 09:57:11 PM
This is the call I've been using for the last 14 years.  I do put notches on it for each legal bird it calls in to gun range.  257 notches so far.

Is that a Dan Wittenberg or a Tom Laska (Lonefeather) paddle caller ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Guskie

Looks like a Wittenberg

Will

I have a Watkins Bloodwood over Butternut box that is my favorite and go to call. I have "notched" the call with a black line inside the box with every kill. I hope one day when the call is passed down the markings make for good conversation with my sons.   

greentrout

A black marker line is an excellent idea!

Greg Massey

I have one old production box call that has 13 notches, from back in my early years of turkey hunting, I no longer carry that box because of the 13 notches ... LOL... After that , i stopped notching calls... I just usually keep the beards and spurs of the gobbler and a few wingbones ....  Nothing wrong with notching a call if you feel the need or itch... LOL...

Zobo

I am the same way as Greg, I used to notch a favorite box when I was younger but then my interest in calls developed and as I started using more and more calls I stopped notching. I just rotate through too many calls to do that anymore. The memories exist regardless and I'm more likely these days to snap a picture of the bird with the call.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14