OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Re: How should I sand this?

Started by Sir-diealot, December 11, 2022, 01:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Every other pot that I've had the grain rain sideways on the sides, this seems to run up and down so should I just sand it up and down or go around it in a circle like I have the other ones? Want it to look halfway decent. Sorry of typing is off my computer is broken and I'm using voice type on the cell phone cuz it's hard for me to type on a cell with my hands.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mastevt

Go around the edge.  As if it's on a lathe.  Step up in grit to desired finish, then apply your finish.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mastevt on December 11, 2022, 01:30:00 PM
Go around the edge.  As if it's on a lathe.  Step up in grit to desired finish, then apply your finish.
Okay thank you I sand by hand I don't own a Iathe I start at 60 grain go to 80 then to 120 then to 180 240 400 600 all the way down to 3000 when I've done them in the past. I just wasn't sure with that vertical grain.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

mastevt

Your starting off awful coarse.  I don't have anything coarser than 120.  But that's just me.  I rough sand with 120, then 180, 220, & final with 320. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mastevt on December 12, 2022, 07:23:03 AM
Your starting off awful coarse.  I don't have anything coarser than 120.  But that's just me.  I rough sand with 120, then 180, 220, & final with 320.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind for the next one.

John Koenig:

paboxcall

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 11, 2022, 01:37:30 PM
Okay thank you I sand by hand I don't own a Iathe I start at 60 grain go to 80 then to 120 then to 180 240 400 600 all the way down to 3000 when I've done them in the past. I just wasn't sure with that vertical grain.

You can chuck the pot to an electric or cordless drill too, spin it while you sand the finish. Think Brookside was selling the tool for the drill few years back.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

outdoors

If you keep your tools very sharp that cuts down some of the Sanding
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on December 12, 2022, 09:36:24 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 11, 2022, 01:37:30 PM

You can chuck the pot to an electric or cordless drill too, spin it while you sand the finish. Think Brookside was selling the tool for the drill few years back.
The kit said I buy the guy does not have a center hole in the call and I didn't know if it would change the sound a lot if I drill another hole in it so I've never bothered to get one. This is one of the parts just sanded and cleaned off with a Tact cloth afterwards, I still have to do the other pot and wait and get my girlfriend and dog out of the house before I can spray.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: outdoors on December 12, 2022, 10:21:40 AM
If you keep your tools very sharp that cuts down some of the Sanding
I do mine through kits  I don't own a lathe or anything like that. There's a part of me that would like to but I know me with tools and I don't think the electric in my house would handle it anyway.

John Koenig: