turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

deer season

Started by reflexl, December 05, 2022, 08:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

We are underway here. Killed one with my bow and one with a 45 Super I built. I have seen a couple of big bucks. They haven't given me a good opportunity yet.

Happy

4 down, several to go here. Let a few walk last weekend cause I just wanted a week of not skinning and processing deer.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

reflexl

Happy

Nice one! Congrats

eddie234

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JeffC

Awesome buck reflexi!! How about some story to go along with picture? Was this the 45super kill?? recognize it as a Contender??  Need some numbers on that rack, got to be in the 140"range if not better??? Do you have better picture with better background, stalks are taking away from a beautiful rack! Congrats again.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

reflexl

Quote from: JeffC on December 14, 2022, 08:04:48 AM
Awesome buck reflexi!! How about some story to go along with picture? Was this the 45super kill?? recognize it as a Contender??  Need some numbers on that rack, got to be in the 140"range if not better??? Do you have better picture with better background, stalks are taking away from a beautiful rack! Congrats again.

This one was with my Encore .260. The gun is a death ray.
The 45 Super did great as well.

reflexl

Quote from: JeffC on December 14, 2022, 08:04:48 AM

I am going to type up a nice story so I can copy and paste it.

crow

Yes Sir, congrats on a nice one reflex,
Fine looking buck

crow

Shot several meat deer and a buck on the last day of rifle.
Still have some Muzzleloader coming up

Dr Juice

Congrats. Awesome buck

Vintage

Congrats on a nice buck and a great year in the woods.

TauntoHawk

Reflex beautiful buck, can't wait for the story and to hear about some of these other good ones running around.

As some members might know I was trying to buy a place last spring, it was June until we closed but I own a piece of dirt now or at least pay taxes on one. Situated in NY just 5min north of the PA line it will allow me to hunt NY (has Sunday hunting) and still enjoy the vast amounts of public northern PA offers, giving me access to both states that I hunt each year.  I have a long way to go with the habitat but I always wanted to have something I can share with the family and make those outdoor memories. I've always done well at finding places to hunt, traveling, sleeping my truck, camping, or crashing with a friend but I really wanted a place I can take my kids, my wife and hunt with my dad in a more controlled environment. I also enjoyed the land manager stuff but until now have always practiced it improving someone else's property. We spent the bulk of the first few months getting the cabin up to wife standards which was honestly a lot of fun. Got a few small plots planted and a couple of stands hung but did run out of time this first season.

Archery was slow and temps were often unfavorable but we spent a bunch of weekends as a family hanging out together. I'd hunt the morning, fish with the kids midday as there is a small pond by the cabin loaded up with Sunnie's and a few bass and in the evening I'd take one of the kids to a blind. Found a few mature does without fawns to occupy my arrows while waiting for bucks to show. Hunted harder through the rut and passed a pile of cruising young bucks and saw one mature deer who slipped behind me while I was pinned down by a nosy doe out in front.

Gun season came with some frigid mid teens temperatures and I took my wife to an elevated blind that was left by the previous owners. We had one of the most enjoyable days of deer hunting I've got to experience, the back part of the property offers a big bowl of old overgrown pastures where I thought a lot of deer might migrate with the way many of the neighbors properties dumped into this area which I had placed 3 small foodplots and kept the pressure off most the fall.

We saw 20-30 deer and 30 turkeys throughout the day never going 40min without something to glass or talk about. Around 3pm a few small bucks seemingly came from no where and began to harass the does that were in a small food plot about 200yds from us and chaos erupted as a sizable deer entered the chase, grunting, running off the other bucks but he never giving any opportunity. As often happens the field was cleared in seconds and we were left with a deerless view. It wasn't long before a doe here, fawn there, then a small buck began to pop back out as dark approached. About 20min from dark my wife spotted the buck again emerging from the timber, outside her comfortable shooting range she played spotter with the binos as he went in and out of view still in pursuit of finding a hot doe to breed making sure other bucks kept their distance. Finally he stopped for the first time just for a moment to scent a mock scrape I had made months earlier and I seized the opportunity at 238yds. He went 10yds and staggered back in his tracks, he ended up being busted to all h#!! With 4 broken tines on his 10pt frame, but he means a heck of a lot more than his score will measure. My kids got to join us at the barn for skinning, and my dad for a beer to recount the events of the day.

It was my dad's turn and I hunted PA public (got my butt whooped by the laurel covered mountains). Second week of the season a mature but rack deficient 7pt had started visiting a community scrape we planned to get my dad over that scrape the next time up but when we made it back a weather front was hitting and 40+ mph winds were being called for, the stand over the scrape was in a small pine and he opted for a more windproof location only to have that buck hit the scrape at 8am. He had to be there the next morning but what's the likely hood of back to back appearances? The next morning my dad settled in and within 10min the sound of a deer approaching directly towards him grew louder with each passing moment. 1min into legal light a solid 3.5yr old 8 was standing in the scrape at 20yds.

Hopefully we will have some turkey pictures this spring. I didn't see any turkeys the first 3 months over the summer but once I got some food plots they started to show up and now I've got 2 flocks of hens that have been roosting on or within ear shot all fall.

Photo dump from the season

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Happy

Congrats on the property and cabin Taunto. Hope it provides you and your family with a lot of fond memories. Nice buck also, by the way.

reflexl

Great pics! Awesome on the land.