OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trough call plans or diagrams  (Read 3672 times)

Offline scootac

Trough call plans or diagrams
« on: December 04, 2022, 09:30:09 AM »
Trying to find plans or dimensioned diagrams to make a trough call and coming up empty. They look simple to make and different from my pot calls.
A how-to video would be helpful too.
Anybody have something they are willing to share?
Thanks!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Trough call plans or diagrams
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 11:02:17 PM »
Just something I found real quick, I have not watched it though, so I am not sure it is exactly what you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l6GJmMfUZo
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline scootac

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 07:59:00 AM »
Thanks!
I did find that video, and it helps some. But it doesn't show the whole process since the last view of putting the 2 halves together would have the slate laying on solid wood. Not going to get any sound out of that!
But, there's enough there that I can probably figure it out.
Maybe the trough call just aren't very popular/good for some reason???

Offline caneman

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 09:54:21 AM »
Your slate does indeed lay on the wood in the trough calls. It gets it sound from the echo chamber below.

Offline scootac

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 10:12:51 AM »
If there is wood under the whole piece of slate, I'd think that would really deaden the sound, even if there's an echo chamber under that. But that's why I'm asking.
Guess not like a pot call where just the very edge of the slate is on wood.
Imagine the thickness of the wood under the slate has a big effect on what kind of sound you get.
Thank You.....you've cleared some things up for me!!!!

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »
If there is wood under the whole piece of slate, I'd think that would really deaden the sound, even if there's an echo chamber under that. But that's why I'm asking.
Guess not like a pot call where just the very edge of the slate is on wood.
Imagine the thickness of the wood under the slate has a big effect on what kind of sound you get.
Thank You.....you've cleared some things up for me!!!!
Thickness of the wood under the surface does make a difference in the sound you will get. I've seen them at 1/8" and also 1/4". Try both and see what your call likes. Also don't get carried away with too much glue under the surface. A little goes a long way and you're looking for good contact between the wood and surface.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 01:39:51 PM »
Thanks!
I did find that video, and it helps some. But it doesn't show the whole process since the last view of putting the 2 halves together would have the slate laying on solid wood. Not going to get any sound out of that!

My video was intended to show the basics of making a Trough call, and nothing more.  I spent close to 6 years perfecting it, just like my pots, and just like any other call maker, I'm happy to share the basics, but I'm not gonna give you everything.  You need to figure that out yourself.  If your gonna take any pride in your product, you must make it yours, not copy someone else's.  Leave that for the Chinese!  The second reason it's so short, is because I go thru multiple passes with multiple bit changes, and it would have taken far too much time to upload.  I will give you this, cutting a slot to produce a lip for the slate to be glued on like in a pot call will not improve your sound.  In fact, you get better sound if you glue it to solid surface.  The fact is, Troughs are a whole different animal than a pot.  Good luck with your project!  Scott.

Offline scootac

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 03:43:35 PM »
 Thank you for chiming in here!
I've never seen or heard of a trough call, and that's why a solid piece under the playing surface confused me. Pot or box calls use a thin piece of material to make a sound, trough do not. I didn't know if there was another part to the video or not....that's why I was asking for info. Most videos I found were of the call being played, not of the construction.
I don't need exact dimensions, I will find those myself as I start down this road.
Again, thanks for your video and reply.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 05:39:41 PM »
Thanks!

My video was intended to show the basics of making a Trough call, and nothing more.  I spent close to 6 years perfecting it, just like my pots, and just like any other call maker, I'm happy to share the basics, but I'm not gonna give you everything.  You need to figure that out yourself.  If your gonna take any pride in your product, you must make it yours, not copy someone else's.  Leave that for the Chinese!  The second reason it's so short, is because I go thru multiple passes with multiple bit changes, and it would have taken far too much time to upload.  I will give you this, cutting a slot to produce a lip for the slate to be glued on like in a pot call will not improve your sound.  In fact, you get better sound if you glue it to solid surface.  The fact is, Troughs are a whole different animal than a pot.  Good luck with your project!  Scott.
I didn't even realize that was your video.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 06:37:12 PM »
Gotta say that watching that video made me cringe. I found out the hard way that you need a block to hold your piece while running it through the router. Three fingers into a 1/2" straight bit at 30,000 RPM does a fair amount of damage. Thankfully with surgery everything turned out fine.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 06:47:13 PM »
Thanks!

I didn't even realize that was your video.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

All is good.  It's a public viewing on my YouTube page.  It's just video to show how one is made.  Not the specifics.  That is for the craftsman making it to find out.  When I started out, I had nobody.  No mentors, no internet, and certainly no forums to ask questions.  I didn't even have a lathe.  I made a jig that attached to a router, and hand turned the pot blank while the router ate out the material.  I then built a router table, upgraded to a better router, and fitted an Incra lift to be more accurate.   Made calls this way for years before I bought a used lathe.  I've made over 1000 pot calls.  Probably that many or more Trough Calls.  I've paid my dues thru sheer determination and sweat.  And Im proud of my calls.  Do I get it right every time?  Nope!  Every now and then, I build a call, and its a flop.  And if its a call a customer specifically ordered, it goes in the fire place, and the customer pays nothing.  But like I said, I have no problems helping and giving advice.  But giving someone exact specs isn't going to make them understand their call.  They have to put in the time and learn.  Make mistakes.  It's those mistakes that will make them successful.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 06:49:28 PM »
Gotta say that watching that video made me cringe. I found out the hard way that you need a block to hold your piece while running it through the router. Three fingers into a 1/2" straight bit at 30,000 RPM does a fair amount of damage. Thankfully with surgery everything turned out fine.

You probably don't want to watch the one where I started out, making pots on a router when I turned the pots by hand.

Offline magnumgray

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 07:03:19 PM »
   Turkey call magazine had plans in a late 1990's issue ..... if you PM me your phone # I'll try to send you pictures of the diagram ...... I've made several hundred of these over the last 20 years..... just completed an order for 15 thta will be part of NWTF banquet..... they work and are a call that will bring them in when they've heard everything you can buy in a package

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 05:37:36 PM »
I have taken on the task of building a trough call
I am using slate
Do I glue it flat down to the wood
I use to have a sweet talker cant remember how it was
All help appreciated

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 03:55:19 PM »
I don't do pot calls, but I decided I wanted to try my version of a trough call....so I glued up this call.  It will play with a Lynch Jet Slate Striker....not so well with anything else.  I took it with me to Unicoi to see if any other call makers had any suggestions or recommendations for strikers or design modifications.  Most seemed to think my design should work, but several asked me what glue I used to glue down the slate....I think the glue I used was Titebond III.  Not trying to crash the OP's question, but thought I would throw this in to add to the discussion.  I do want to get this to work.........