OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Carbon Fiber Soundboard with?  (Read 1929 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Carbon Fiber Soundboard with?
« on: December 01, 2022, 01:43:01 PM »
I am getting ready to make a couple more kit calls, I am going to do a walnut pot, glass soundboard and green aluminum for the one and am thinking of walnut pot with a carbon fiber soundboard but am unsure of striking surface. Each would be a 3" soundboard and 3 1/2" striking surface. What does carbon fiber sound good with or does it sound good at all? Is there any sense in using it if you are not going to have it visible under glass or crystal? Is there some other material that would give the same performance/sound as carbon fiber if I choose to use say slate or stoned aluminum striking surface? Thanks for the help. Here are the others I have made in the past.

Laminated Maple - Walnut - Yellowheart call with Lasered 3" Cherry Sound Board and crystal striking surface

Cedar-Walnut-Maple Pot with glass soundboard and purple slate striking surface

First one I did Quartersawn Sycamore, glass soundboard and black slate striking surface.

Walnut and Quartersawn Sycamore Shortbox

All kits from Cross Road Game Calls though he does not do green aluminum so I will have to get that elsewhere.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Re: Carbon Fiber Soundboard with?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 02:14:38 PM »
If it were me, I'd use glass or Chrystal, and glue a feather on the soundboard.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 02:30:37 PM »
If it were me, I'd use glass or Chrystal, and glue a feather on the soundboard.
Glass or crystal as the soundboard as well or glue to carbon fiber and glass or crystal striking surface? I have never heard a call with carbon fiber before so it interests me but the whole unknown thing.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 05:17:30 PM »
Crystal surface/carbon fiber sound board is one nasty gal. If you're using put together pot kits though, I'd stick to more standard options as the specs might not handle the pop/ring that carbon fiber has. It's very expensive in comparison to other soundboards, but has an aesthetic appeal and ring to it that other alternatives don't.

I'd probably stick to glass or slate though for put together kits if you're not going to tinker with the internals.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 06:46:57 PM »
Crystal surface/carbon fiber sound board is one nasty gal. If you're using put together pot kits though, I'd stick to more standard options as the specs might not handle the pop/ring that carbon fiber has. It's very expensive in comparison to other soundboards, but has an aesthetic appeal and ring to it that other alternatives don't.

I'd probably stick to glass or slate though for put together kits if you're not going to tinker with the internals.
I decided to go ahead and try the carbon fiber and crystal combination. Hope it works and if not there is not a ton of money invested, more invested in the pain in my hands from sanding. I thank you for the advise. Any advise you would give me for attaching? I have always used either E6000 or Titebond III though I can't remember which was used for which. What is a pop ring? Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 07:56:41 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 09:24:54 PM »

I decided to go ahead and try the carbon fiber and crystal combination. Hope it works and if not there is not a ton of money invested, more invested in the pain in my hands from sanding. I thank you for the advise. Any advise you would give me for attaching? I have always used either E6000 or Titebond III though I can't remember which was used for which. What is a pop ring? Thanks.
The sound qualities that it produces has a lot of "pop" or "ring" in the yelp. Under a crystal surface it can absolutely crank. E6000 be just fine.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 09:55:11 PM »

The sound qualities that it produces has a lot of "pop" or "ring" in the yelp. Under a crystal surface it can absolutely crank. E6000 be just fine.
Thanks bud, now to to locate some green aluminum for the other call.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:54:35 AM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig: