OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NWTF NEWS 2023 Custom Callmaking Competition  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
NWTF NEWS 2023 Custom Callmaking Competition
« on: December 01, 2022, 10:18:01 AM »
The 2023 Grand National Custom Callmaking competition is now open for registration. This year celebrates the NWTF 50th anniversary. Now they have a few things to share with everyone concerning this year's competition. This year the contest is NOT going to be in the convention hall as in past years. Long story short it's moving from inside the convention center to another building called the Gaylord Opryland Events Center. You can check the website for details and a map of the new location. I know a lot of people go to see all the calls etc so this is just some recent news from the NWTF... They are also going to have a couple of new divisions this year, Wildlife Art and new JAKES divisions for new call builders that are designed for young callmakers to build turkey calls.. So for more information check out the NWTF website.

Online GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: NWTF NEWS 2023 Custom Callmaking Competition
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »
Is that building attached and within easy walking distance of the old location? Would be great if you can share directions and/or map

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 11:39:32 AM »
Wow........

Is it just me ??  Or does this seem like a total slap in the face to callmakers ??

Anyone know what was behind this move ???
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 11:45:55 AM »
Wow........

Is it just me ??  Or does this seem like a total slap in the face to callmakers ??

There's a few call makers that are not happy with this move. In the old location you could walk over check things out at any time during the show. Not sure how this will help bring any attention to the custom calls or the auction being that it's in a separate location.

Offline greentrout

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 11:53:34 AM »
Logically I would assume they’re expecting a bigger turn out for the 50th anniversary and are wanting it to be a bigger deal.

Now, knowing the NWTF and how it’s been going it won’t turn out that way and will backfire bigly.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 03:00:14 PM »
Wow........

The auction is now totally online rather than having a silent auction for all the calls and ending on Sunday in person. They did a hybrid approach, of in person/online bids the last couple years and are moving to a totally online format with a longer bidding window.

The competition was moved to accommodate more vendor space in the competition area and to separate the judging of the calls from the chaos. It's definitely a double edged sword, the separation is nice for the judges, but definitely a slap to the call makers being kicked to the side and moved elsewhere. It's on Opryland campus, but it's not directly hooked into the convention center building. The biggest issue is the call makers used to be front and center and the main reason people attended the show, as booth prices increase and push them out of affordability/practicality they're all but a lost cause(dollar) to the NWTF. I hate it for the makers that have poured their heart and souls into it for many years, but I don't expect to see much change in the near future.

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 03:26:50 PM »
 The NWTF had told some call makers earlier that the move was because a prior vendor couldn't vacate in time for them to set up. On the website now they say it's for the "benefit" of the call makers providing more room etc. NWTF speak with forked tongue. I think it's a good example of how the NWTF has lost it's way. Personally I could spend my time with the calls and never set foot in the convention.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 03:27:31 PM »
I think the old "front and center" for the competition call display was the way it SHOULD be.

I don't see this move being very well-received or successful, either one.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 04:44:22 PM »
 i believe all that was said above is wrong.. the email i have recieved states that a different company has leased out that space for another kind of show, for that week, and the NWTF would not get that space back in time to set-up the callmaking competion , so NWTF move it. no slap in the face there..

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 06:42:58 PM »
One more reason I see not to renew.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline greentrout

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
I will be spending my time wherever the call makers are. Always been the draw for me.

Offline greentrout

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 10:14:22 AM »
I visited Opryland over the weekend and made the walk over to the event center. Not a far walk. Center looks every bit as big as one of the convention rooms. I can’t say that it’s convenient or anything, but I think it could be nice having a space just for the call makers and none of the other vendors.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »
I've went  to the NWTF convention for 20 years, in 4 different states, an as far as custom call makers it does not compare to Unicoi.