turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unusual Ammo finds

Started by owlhoot, November 29, 2022, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Gun show usual , nothing I was looking for or willing to pay that much for. But 1 box of Winchester Xtended range Hi density supreme Elite 12 gauge 3" 1 3/4 ounce 6's.
Last stop was pawn shop. Where a box of Winchester Rooster XR 12 gauge 2 3/4' 5 's was found and a red box of Activ penetrator 12 gauge 3" 2 1/4 ounce Nickle plated 5 shot. Haven't seen those in a long time.

Turkeybutt

Great find! I never gave it a thought to check out a Pawn Shop.

Boykin Hollow

I shot a lot of dove loads by Activ,  they really did shoot great in my 12 gauge.  Wish I had more of them now.

Tom007

Those Active Turkey loads are fantastic. They pattern real well out of .660 Gobbling Thunder Choke by Kicks. Problem is you will love them, and they are super scarce. I have 4 left. Why they stopped making them is beyond me...Turkey's hate em.....

Great find there....
"Solo hunter"

crow

Quote from: Tom007 on November 30, 2022, 07:18:23 AM
Those Active Turkey loads are fantastic. They pattern real well out of .660 Gobbling Thunder Choke by Kicks. Problem is you will love them, and they are super scarce. I have 4 left. Why they stopped making them is beyond me...Turkey's hate em.....

Great find there....

Geese hated them too, back when lead was legal actives patterned great in an old 870 with factory fixed full choke

Greg Massey

I've got some in 12 ga. turkey loads and i have a box of 25 in 16 ga... those are really hard to find ... Active was a fine shell....

firedup

Activ was made in northern WV and sometimes a box can be found in the old hardware / sporting good stores in Pa, MD, Va and WV.   Activ was bought out by Kent a bunch of years ago and Kent stopped production. Before TSS, Hevishot and several others they were the go to for turkeys! The 12 ga 3" Penetrator killed lots of gobblers.  Still have a box or 3 somewhere, the duck hunters really liked them because water / getting wet didn't affect them to much. 

Will

Cleaning out my Uncle's house and found this box of 12 gauge shells. When was the last time you've seen a box of shells cost that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom007

Quote from: Will on December 10, 2022, 11:00:45 PM

Cleaning out my Uncle's house and found this box of 12 gauge shells. When was the last time you've seen a box of shells cost that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The box tells the story, a long long time ago...........
"Solo hunter"

owlhoot

That's neat Will.
Right now I cant recall pricing but I have some boxes of Ted Williams shells. Wonder how old those are?
I also have shells from western Auto, Sears, Wards, Penny's , coast to coast, matco and a few others.
I have rifle primers marked .97 cents a hundred and 1 pound powder marked 7.98 , both from of all places Walmart.

Vintage

Pawn shops were buying shells at walmart and reselling them them for a huge profit when they were hard to come buy.

owlhoot

Quote from: Vintage on December 11, 2022, 09:20:54 AM
Pawn shops were buying shells at walmart and reselling them them for a huge profit when they were hard to come buy.
That's very true , gun shows and gun shops do it also. You look around enough you can find deals though.
Trading has been working good for me at gun shows on ammo. You have a new caliber rifle to get ammo for?
45 a box now.
Take some other caliber rounds you have and work a trade. you probably gave 10-20 a box for.
Maybe all those old lead turkey loads, you would be surprised how many boxes of lead turkey will sale or trade before one high dollar tss or magblend box. Turkey thugs sold at walmart (2.50-3.00) a box after season clearance. In the past were the hottest seller at shows and shops, (at 15-20 a box)probably because many were familiar with them.
TSS is so outrageously priced now that only the internut turkey fanatics like me will buy it.  :lol:

Dtrkyman

Back in the day a walmart was closing out .410 ammo, I want to say it was 3 bucks a box or something, dirt cheap and the loads I used for pheasants and doves, they had 6s and 7.5.

Luckily I asked the gal if they had anymore boxes around, only a few in the glass counter, she said yes and proceeded to bring out a full case of each!  I still have some of the pheasant loads!

lunghit

Last year I found about 500 rounds of IMI 5.56 in my gun safe that I bought in 2011 and totally forgot about. Does that count as an ammo find lol?
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Tail Feathers

I found some heavy LR 6's at Wal Mart of all places.  I can use these in my father's old Remington Model 11.  No doubt it won't have a long effective range for turkeys but I'm really looking forward to taking that gun hunting.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!