OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Which Pinhoti Episode?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Which Pinhoti Episode?
« on: November 28, 2022, 07:49:11 AM »
Guys I need some help from those that are more familiar with the Pinhoti series.... I'm looking for the episode where Dave tracks down a shot turkey and finishes him in some thick brush.  Teaching Hunter Safety and wanted to use the video in the discussion on Ethics and Wildlife.  Dave does a good job of giving that turkey a solid effort in tracking him and I believe his reflection afterwards would be impactful to the younger hunters especially.  Thanks for the help if you're familiar with the video I'm talking about.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline Candyman

Re: Which Pinhoti Episode?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 09:54:33 AM »
Send Dave a  direct message. He has always responded quickly to my questions.

He is Cove on here and he has Instagram too.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 11:57:26 AM »
I don't know Dave, but from what I have read in his post I bet he'd help you.

You stated teaching Hunter safety. If you would have use in your program for them I could send you pictures of my wounds from when I was shot turkey hunting and perhaps a short story about it. Maybe making it a bit more peronal would stick in their memory.

Just Pm me if you want them.

Offline Franklin7x57

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 03:23:06 PM »
Alabama episode Poor judgment almost ends in disaster     2021

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 04:44:30 PM »
   Now I want to watch that episode. Search in a bit.

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 08:30:06 PM »
Thanks Franklin, that's the video I was looking for. Hard when he's now got several seasons on there. Thank you for the help!

Eggshell thank you, and PM is sent. The more personal, the more effective with teenagers, relevance is everything.

Anti hunters and the uninformed have no idea how true sportsmen operate.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 08:37:15 AM »
Hey-- I just saw that complete video. Just an awesome Job with that Gobbler Recovery! 

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 09:56:19 PM »
There’s not nearly as much info about tracking a gobbler compared to a wounded deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 10:21:04 AM »
There is another video on Pinhoti from a Florida hunt that has a similar result.  If I remember correctly, Chubbs shot the bird and they couldn't find it for a very long time.  They finally tracked it down and recovered the bird. 

I have been saying it for years now.  Seems like everyone kinda quit running to the bird after the shot.  I do not run anymore after taking a tumble with gun in hand some years back, but I do still go to the bird after the shot.  I want to put my hands on him quickly to make sure the deal is done. 
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline kytrkyhntr

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 10:28:14 AM »
There is another video on Pinhoti from a Florida hunt that has a similar result.  If I remember correctly, Chubbs shot the bird and they couldn't find it for a very long time.  They finally tracked it down and recovered the bird. 

I have been saying it for years now.  Seems like everyone kinda quit running to the bird after the shot.  I do not run anymore after taking a tumble with gun in hand some years back, but I do still go to the bird after the shot.  I want to put my hands on him quickly to make sure the deal is done.

I’m with you, I’ve always got up and ran to the turkey myself. That’s what dad showed me as a kid. I’m too excited to sit there anyway. Haha
don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
I remember that one. They were all in disbelief that gobbler wasn’t laying there. To their credit I think they spent several hours tracking it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 09:29:24 AM »
Y'all please share this video when you find it, students really enjoyed the other one and brought a lot of good discussion. 

Offline btodd00

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 10:11:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR6f0FDfFH0&list=PLM1qJiZ5QSKmEgHAtfB472fCmyeAh2_Zi&index=26

I think that is the right one

Offline btodd00

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 02:41:59 PM »
my bad I didn't even see the conversation changed to another video. This is the video from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGVQurnsOs&list=PLM1qJiZ5QSKkz03_twtKuXGvp0qR8pcio&index=4

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 08:51:58 AM »
This seems to be a trend that is also outside of the YouTube realm.  I have spoken with several turkey hunters in multiple states regarding immediate retrieval of turkey vs. sitting still.  My theory is that if I have my hand on his neck, he doesn't have a chance of getting away.  Some people say they sit with the gun solid on their shoulder for a moment to assure it was a fatal shot.  Others say they make phone calls, fist pump, etc.  The latter being the ones that I try to convince in the potential of losing the bird.

IMO, the hunt ain't over until he stops flopping and his feather relax.
This year is going to suck!!!